This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
On my mission of uncovering the secret agent behind your favorite meals, this week’s cooking session is all about the homemade Yum Yum Sauce recipe!
The ultimate dipping sauce is made with pantry staples in just 5 minutes! But don’t let the simple ingredients fool you—the flavor profile is irresistible!
Looking for an all-purpose sauce for everyday pleasure? Then this homemade Yum Yum sauce is the real deal!
A Creamy Paste for a Yummy Sauce
Hibachi is a cooking method in which you cook meat, seafood, and vegetables on a high heat metal cooking plate; and the Yum Yum sauce is a perfect companion to this meal.
The perfectly balanced combination of ingredients makes this sauce next level delicious!
Give it a try and make it your own! The uses are literally endless!
A Little Background for You
The popular Yum Yum sauce has many identities. You might find it sneaking under various names, such as “white sauce,” “pale pink sauce,” “shrimp sauce,” “Hibachi sauce,” or “yummy sauce.”
Although the identity of the first chef to invent it is still a mystery, the Japanese hibachi steakhouse sauce is now commercially available in grocery stores for the masses to enjoy. And with this recipe, you can now make your own homemade yum yum sauce!
Fun fact: Although you might know this dip as a famous Japanese steakhouse sauce, it isn’t actually known in Japanese cuisine. The United States’ Japanese restaurants take full credit for this one!
How to Enjoy This Creamy Yum Yum Sauce!
Let’s cut right through the chase. This Yum Yum sauce is super versatile, it actually blows my mind sometimes! You can literally use it anywhere and everywhere. Here, let me show you how!
First of all, this is a fantastic dipping sauce for fresh vegetables, onion rings, grilled chicken (shrimp or meat), French fries, or sweet potato fries.
You can also drizzle it over fried rice, sushi, rice balls, or hibachi noodles. It can even work as a salad dressing, or slathered on burgers or hot dog buns.
How to Store This Tangy Sauce!
Although this Yum Yum sauce is super easy to whip out, here’s how to store it in case you are thinking of meal prep.
Store this tangy sauce in an airtight container, or an airtight jar, in the fridge for about a week.
Unfortunately, since this sauce is made of a Mayo creamy base, it is not freezer friendly. It might split while defrosting.
Pro tip: Any store-bought sauce has xanthan gum added to the recipe as a stabilizer (improves shelf-life). Since it has no side affects, you can add about half a teaspoon of the additive to this recipe too.
A Magical Mix of Tomato Paste and Mayo
Tips for a Delicious Sauce
Tip 1: Consider this a base recipe, and feel free to add or swap a few ingredients (sesame seeds for an extra crunch are highly recommended). Experiment a bit, and see what satisfies your taste buds the most.
Tip 2: For the best flavor result, allow the sauce to sit for a few hours (preferably overnight) before consuming. This gives it a chance to properly meld.
Tip 3: This is a mayo-based sauce, so try to keep the main ingredient as plain as possible. You can also replace the mayonnaise with sour cream or yogurt.
Tip 4: If you are looking for an authentic Japanese flavor, then add a bit of mirin. Now you know what Japanese Hibachi restaurants’ secret is for amazing flavors and complexity!
Frequently Asked Questions
If it is your first rodeo with the Yum Yum sauce, then expect a creamy, sweet, and tangy flavor-with just the right hint of heat.
I wouldn’t personally recommend swapping tomato paste with ketchup. However, if you must, then skip the sugar since ketchup already has sugar.
You don’t even have to ask! If you can handle the level of heat, then by all means go wild with some cayenne pepper, sriracha sauce, wasabi paste, chili sauce, or hot sauce! Enjoy your spicy yum yum sauce!
Yum Yum Sauce Ingredients
- Rice vinegar
- tomato paste
- garlic powder
- melted butter
- salt and pepper
Follow The Instructions
In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients together (except the water).
Then, thin the mix out with water until you reach the desired consistency. Enjoy!
Other Recipes for You!
- Layered Hummus Veggie Dip Recipe
- Best Chicken Finger Dipping Sauce
- The Best And Easiest 5-Ingredient Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Homemade Hot Dog Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Mayo Sauce For Sushi
- Vegan Lentil Dip-Kibbet Adas
- McDonald’s Secret Big Mac Sauce (Copycat)
- Green Chutney Cilantro Mint
- Easy Taco Queso Dip-Viral TikTok Dip
- Best Ever Burger Sauce
Best Yum Yum Sauce Recipe
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients together (except the water).
- Then, thin the mix out with water until you reach the desired consistency. Enjoy!
- Consider this a base recipe, and feel free to add or swap a few ingredients (sesame seeds for an extra crunch is highly recommended). Experiment a bit, and see what satisfies your taste buds the most.
- For best flavor result, allow the sauce to sit for a few hours (preferably overnight) before consuming. This gives it a chance to properly meld.
- This is a mayo-based sauce, so try to keep the main ingredients as plain as possible. You can also replace the mayonnaise with sour cream or yogurt.
- If you are looking for an authentic Japanese flavor, then add a bit of Mirin. Now you know what Japanese Hibachi restaurants’ secret for amazing flavors and complexity.