Lebanese Maamoul Cookies
Whether you prefer them crumbly or soft, these Lebanese Maamoul Cookies are characterized by their rich flavor and the sweet taste of the date, pistachio or walnut filling.
Servings: 20 cookies
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a large cookie sheet with greased parchment paper.
In a large bowl, add in all the dry ingredients, mix them, and then add in the soften butter, milk, and rosewater or blossom water.
Using your hands, mix the dough together until it has totally formed into a big ball of grainy dough.
You can begin using the dough immediately to fill in and shape your cookies.
First, begin by forming a 2-inch ball of dough. With your index finger poke into the center of the round dough and gently form a deep hole enough to add the filling. Fill the center with a 1 inch ball of date paste or a spoonful of the ground pistachio or walnut mix. Gently fold in the dough and close it to form a ball again.
Place the stuffed dough ball into the cookie mold and press down using the palm of your hand. Now, turn your mold and tap it firmly on to greased parchment paper until the cookie falls out.
Repeat the steps to do the rest of your cookies with desired filling. Bake for 18-20 minutes then broil on high for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
Dust all cookies with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- For added flavor, use Mahlab (can be found at a local Middle Eastern market) or a substitute like mixing mastic with a teaspoon of sugar.
- It's important to knead dough with fingers if you really want a super crumbly texture.
- If you don't have the special wooden molds of maamoul, you can roll your dough into equal size balls with the palm of your hand and them press with tongs or a fork to make patterns of different shapes out of the filled dough.
- If you start to roll your dough into balls and it's too soft, put it in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes.
- When it's time to broil, keep a close eye on them so they don't burn as they are sensitive.
- If you don't mind the extra calories, ghee makes for a more crumbly semolina cookie and an enhanced nutty flavor. Use it instead of the butter.
Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 36mg | Potassium: 255mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 306IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 3mg