Best Sweet Potato Casserole Ever! This is one side dish I would always want to dig into on Thanksgiving day! I absolutely love how this casserole turns out. It is so creamy and rich, you would want every single bite to last forever!
If you have never made this before, I urge you to try it asap! Read below to see how simple it is to make. You would never want to get a store bough casserole again!!
My mom always made this for us growing up and she still makes for us if we are visiting for Thanksgiving! I love it even more since it reminds me of her and she actually taught me how to make it. Anything that connects me to my mom is special, so this casserole is extra special!
Although this sweet dish is usually enjoyed on Thanksgiving day, I wouldn’t mind having it any time all year round.
You can healthy-fy this recipe by using honey instead of sugar, regular milk to replace heavy whipping cream, coconut oil to replace butter, and coconut brown sugar to replace the brown sugar!
It is worth the swap if you intend of enjoying this over the stop best sweet potato casserole ever, more than just once a year and keep your waistline in check 😉
The list of ingredients
- sweet potatoes
- sugar or honey
- heavy cream
- vanilla extract
- light brown sugar
- all purpose flour
- Pecans, whole or crushed
The steps to prepare this delicious casserole
This is a very simple casserole to prepare! Easier than it looks and tastes! You have to first bake the sweet potatoes, then peel off the skin.
Mash the sweet potatoes and add the ingredients to it like the milk or heavy cream, sugar, cinnamon, eggs, vanilla and salt. That’s the first part! Simple right?
The next step and it is the last, is to combine the top layer which consists of brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter! Then you bake and enjoy! That is it!!
Making ahead of time
This sweet potato casserole is not just delicious and easy to make! This recipe gets the BEST rating because you can conveniently make it a day before, cover with a foil and place it in the fridge!
That moves so much out of your way. The next day you remove the foil and pop it in the oven!
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar or honey I use honey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet, bake for 45-60 minutes or until fully cooked and fork tender. Allow to cool the peel the skin off.
- Peel the skin off then place the sweet potato flesh in a large bowl and mash well.
- Mix the heavy cream, sugar or honey, eggs, cinnamon, salt and vanilla in with the sweet potato until well combined. Place in a baking dish (14.5x 11 x 2) or a smaller baking dish for a thicker casserole. Note: Mixture does not need to be smooth, some lumps are ok.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon, then mix in the melted butter and sprinkle the mixture all over the sweet potato. Garnish with whole or chopped pecans.
- Bake at 350F until golden brown , for 35-40 minutes.