This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Simple Lebanese meat and rice is also known as ‘Hashweh”. This aromatic rice is loaded with minced ground beef that is infused with the rich flavors of Middle Eastern spices known as seven spices.
The mix of spices typically contain cardamom, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, cloves, paprika, pepper, and cinnamon. I have you covered on the seven spice recipe.
If you want the truth, my kids enjoy this dish just the way it is, mixed in with yogurt!
The way we enjoy this popularly loved Lebanese meat and rice is to top it with toasted nuts like cashews, slivered almonds or pine nuts.
I decided not to add them this time since my kids don’t really like the toasted nuts, which I am almost sure their future taste buds will regret! LOL!
Simple Lebanese Meat and Rice
Another name for this rice pilaf is Hashwi or spelled Hashweh, which mean stuffed or stuffing and although it means stuffing, we make it regularly.
Is simple, delicious and can be enjoyed on its own with a few sides like vegetables, hummus, baked potatoes, just to name a few.
On special occasions, for instance when I have guests coming over for dinner, I like to add butter! Butter adds so much flavor to rice when you toast the rice in the butter and olive oil before steaming.
Toppings option for this rice dish
I didn’t add them here in these photos but I highly recommend that you add the toasted nuts. It is such a great addition to the rice and meat, it truly takes it up many notches.
It give it a great addition of that nutty flavor that you will really appreciate with every bite!
How to prep toasted nuts
To make toasted nuts, you have to add olive oil or generously add cooking oil spray to a hot frying fan, then on medium heat. Add about half a cup of your favorite nuts while constantly stirring to prevent from burning.
You will notice that they will start to change in color, this is when you should lower the heat to medium low until they are all toasted and golden brown. Transfer to a plate covered in paper towel to drain from the oil. Top your rice then garnish with chopped parsley or pomegranate seeds.
For this recipe, I used long grain Royal Basmati rice. You can definitely use medium grain rice if you choose to. Some people make this delicious Simple Lebanese Meat and Rice using Uncle Ben’s rice, so if you have that on hand you can definitely use it.
Ingredients Needed for Simple Lebanese Meat and Rice
- ground beef
- basmati rice long grain
- olive oil
- butter (optional)
- seven spices
- bouillon cubes
How to make seven spices at home
It’s simple! Make seven spices at home by combing these spices together. After mixing use the specified amount in the recipe card to make this Simple Lebanese meat and rice! You can also purchase this seven spices online. I have an easy recipe for you here
- black pepper ground
- cloves ground
- nutmeg ground
- cinnamon ground
- cumin ground
- coriander ground
- cardamom ground
Mix spices together then place in a glass jar or any air tight container.
Other recipes you might enjoy
Lebanese Meat and Rice
- medium pot
- Wash 2 cups of rice in warm water until water runs clear, then soak in warm water for about 5-15 minutes
- In a medium pot add 5 tablespoons of olive or canola oil, a tablespoon of butter (optional) on high heat. Add in the ground beef, sprinkle some salt and a pinch of seven spices to enhance the flavor of meat. Using a spatula break the ground beef into small chunks and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the rice and add in to the pot. Add the bouillon cube, ½ tablespoon seven spices, salt and 4 cups of water. Taste the water and add more salt if needed.
- Allow the water to come to a rolling boil for a 'full' minute or so. Lower the heat to simmer and cover the pot for about 15 minutes. Water should have evaporated at this point and rice is all done!
- Turn off the heat. Allow the rice to sit for 10 minutes covered before you fluff with a fork. Stir around using a fork to avoid rice from clumping together.