You know when you really have something in mind and you just hope to make it and have it turn out exactly how you imagined it to taste? I had this easy Greek Salad on Naan Bread with mashed avocados on my mind all week long. But I really wanted a dressing that would totally make what I imagined it to taste like come to life and… it did, a tasty homemade Greek salad dressing.
Salad and Bread: The Perfect Pairing
This is a traditional Greek Salad on roasted garlic Naan bread topped with creamy yogurt poppy seed dressing. Its original name is horiatiki salad, literally meaning village salad. So the next time you head to the grocery store, grab some veggies and Naan bread. This won’t take more than 5-10 minutes at the store, and then prepare something light but epic.
One of the pieces of bread had a spread of mashed avocados. Then I topped it with small diced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, sliced red onions, feta cheese, basil, and poppy seed. Let me tell you, if anything was heaven in your mouth, this was it.
What Is Naan Bread?
Originally Indian, Naan bread is a special type of flatbread that is cooked in a tandoor or firewood oven. In general, it is baked using active dry yeast and warm water as the dough is left to rest thereafter.
The classic recipe needs flour as a main ingredient, but you can prepare your own homemade gluten-free naan bread. The result is appealing golden brown flats that are second to none.
Naan bread is meant to be a healthier option than some other place flatbread as warm pita bread at room temperature for example. It is also more moist and tender than traditional pita bread.
Our Special Naan with Greek Salad
Now, let’s get back to our lovely bread as the base of the Greek cucumber salad. While this is a relatively vegetarian recipe suitable for a meatless Monday, I sometimes like to give it a meaty touch.
It is optional to add some chicken breast on top of the salad. In this way, the recipe becomes a heaping mound of Greek salad that acts as a perfect side dish or a light lunch.
To do so, you can season the boneless chicken with a tablespoon of olive oil or a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, black pepper, and a teaspoon of salt. After that, place the chicken on a baking sheet and cook it on medium heat. Otherwise, you can fry the seasoned chicken for 6-8 minutes.
What’s on the Naan Bread?
The dressing of this fresh, classic Greek salad was so good. For a soft texture, I mixed Greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, and salt in a large bowl. I made another Greek salad flatbread topped with White Greek Poppy Seed dressing, and in an oiled bowl mixed the cucumbers and then added the additional toppings. Such a fun and delicious variation!
Greek Salad on Naan Bread: Two Best Friends
Tips for the Best Greek Salad on Naan Bread
Naan Bread’s best friends are fresh veggies such as romaine lettuce, garbanzo beans, ripe tomatoes, red peppers, green bell peppers, or green peppers. These vegetarian options can be served as a side dish or as a salad.
Also, serve this bread with dips as creamy hummus with salty olives or black olives. Even in this case, a dressed salad can go with them perfectly well.
Store leftover dress salad in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Common Questions about the Salad on Naan
While there is no specific time to do so, still you can have the Naan Bread on Greek Salad as a quick lunch. It is also one of those refreshing dinner recipes that is a perfect summer salad.
For the Greek seasoning, you can replace it with some lemon juice.
What Are the Ingredients of Greek Salad on Naan Bread?
On the Naan Bread
Naan Bread: I used Tandoori garlic Naan, but you can use plain if you would like.
Avocado: Hass avocado gives this classic salad a smooth texture.
Cucumber: These crisp cucumbers have to be diced into small pieces.
Onions: Get some red onions, and make sure they are diced small.
Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes, diced or halved, are the best. You can still use juicy tomatoes or a cup of grape tomatoes.
Olives: You need diced Kalamata olives.
Feta Cheese: Unsalted or salty feta cheese works well.
For the Dressing
Yogurt: Being an authentic Greek salad recipe, you need Greek yogurt.
Vinegar: Use apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, or balsamic vinegar.
Mustard: Dijon mustard is the best.
Garlic: It has to be minced.
Oil: Use extra virgin olive oil for the best results.
Poppy Seed: This is a great addition for taste and decoration alike.
Salt: It adds taste and balances flavors.
Basil: Its thick green leaves are added as a garnish.
(Scroll down for recipe details.)
Naan Bread and Greek Salad: A Delicious Duo
Recipes You May Want to Try
- Fantastic Kale Dijon Salad
- Plant-based Chicken Salad with Barbecue Vinaigrette
- Tastiest Tuna Egg Salad Recipe
- Citrus Vinaigrette Strawberry Mango Kale Salad
- Roasted Eggplant Salad
- Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette Chef Salad
- Loaded Beef Shawarma Fries
- Lebanese Tabouli Salad
- Kale Salad with Caramelized Onions
- Baked Cream Cheese- Glazed Pumpkin Spice Donuts
Greek Salad on Naan Bread
- 2 Tandoori Garlic Naan bread
- ½ hass avocado
- 1 cup cucumbers diced small
- ¼ cup red onions diced small
- ½ cup red cherry tomatoes diced or halved
- ¼ cup kalamata olives diced
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
Greek Dressing Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons poppy seed
- salt to taste
- basil for garnish
- Heat the naan bread in the oven at 350 F for 2 minutes or you can heat it over the stove top.
- Mash half of the Hass avocado and slice the other half. Spread the mashed avocado on the warmed naan bread.
- Begin topping it with olives, tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers, feta, cherry tomatoes and basil.
- Top with the poppy seed dressing and enjoy!
- Another way to prepare this sandwich is to add cucumbers with the poppy seed dressing, spread the dressing on the warmed naan bread, and then top with the above mentioned ingredients. Slice the other half of the avocado and place on top! Garnish with basil and enjoy!
- Naan bread’s best friends are fresh veggies as romaine lettuce, garbanzo beans, ripe tomatoes, red peppers, green bell peppers, or green peppers. These vegetarian options can be served in a side dish or as a salad.
- Also, serve this bread with dips as creamy hummus with salty olives or black olives. Even in this case, a dressed salad can go with them perfectly well.
- Store leftover dress salad in an airtight container refrigerated up to 3 days.
Made these, garlic roasted naan wrap, flavor was amazing! All the combination of sauces made the wrap very flavorful
I’ve just baked up a batch of flat breads using your naan bread recipe and they came out just perfect. Made this salad and everyone enjoyed!!!
Hello. I would love to try this Greek Salad On NAAN BREAD
recipe. I just have a question. Can i use vegan feta???
Hi Sarah, you can definitely use vegan feta to top your naan bread!
I made this classy Greek salad
today and it impressed my guests! Thanks a bunch! I will def give it 5 stars !
Made this today and it was so yummy!! The blend of flavors is amazing
Made this with your gluten free naan bread and it was incredibly delicious 🤤