This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Looking for an Easy recipe to wow your family for dinner tonight? Look no further. This Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Puff Pastry recipe is so satisfying. It is something your family will ask for again and again!
A savory surprise awaits inside this delicious crispy puff pastry consisting of seasoned chicken breasts with onions, broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms, smothered in rich, creamy cheese. I like to serve this elegant entrée when we have guests or are celebrating a holiday or special occasion.
A Five Star Meal
Whether you stuff, top, wrap or twist it, puff pastry is so versatile with sweet or savory ingredients. I usually keep a pack in the freezer and play around with the ingredients.
This recipe is one I created when I was thinking of a new way to serve puff pastry. I used chicken breasts, mushrooms, broccoli, bell peppers, onions, and cheese. It has been a big hit with our whole family ever since!
This cheesy chicken stuffed puff pastry can be served hot or cold since both ways are equally delicious. You can play with the cheeses that you like. It is so crispy and yes, cheesy! Great as a quick snack, brunch, an appetizer, for dinner, or for parties.
This cheesy chicken puff pastry is so versatile and can be served with many dishes. Try it with broccoli mushroom soup. Add the soup gravy on top for a great flavor. You can also serve it with Middle Eastern Salad ,Fattoush salad, or some roasted vegetables.
What You Need to Make this Cheesy Chicken Puff Pastry
You only need a few ingredients and to make this cheesy goodness!
Puff pastry: You can you use fresh or frozen puff pastry. Frozen puff pastry can be just as good as fresh and is easier to work with. It also puffs up into gorgeous, flaky layers.
Chicken breasts: Chicken breasts are perfect for this recipe. They make the perfect combo with cheese.
Vegetables: You will need bell peppers, onions, and broccoli.
Cheese: You can use any kind of cheese you want. I used Mozzarella cheese here. The more cheesy your chicken puff pastry is, the more delicious it would be.
Spices: You will need some paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, and roasted garlic seasoning to season the chicken and veggies.
Egg white: You will need the egg white to brush the top of your puff pastry. This will give it the amazing brown color.
Cheesy, Flaky Goodness!
Vegans? We’ve Got You Covered!
If you want to make this recipe vegan, it’s very easy. Instead of using chicken you can make it with tofu.
Start off by draining the liquid from the tofu. You can pat it or a place a heavy pan over it. This step is very essential, so don’t skip it. Then, sauté’ the tofu and the vegetables together and drain them to get rid of the excess liquid.
You can skip the cheese or add your favorite type of vegan cheese.
The Best Way to Thaw Puff Pastry
Frozen puff pastry is such a kitchen playmaker that it’s worth keeping some on hand at all times. Plain puff pastry can be quickly transformed into cookies or snacks, or it can be used to make a quick but stunning dinner.
While a quick puff pastry can be made at home, it isn’t necessary. Frozen puff pastry can be just as good as fresh and is easier to work with. It also puffs up into gorgeous, flaky layers.
How to Thaw Puff Pastry
These are the 3 common ways to thaw puff pastry:
Puff Pastry can be thawed in the refrigerator. Place each sheet on a plate, cover with a plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator to defrost for about 4 hours.
To thaw pastry at room temperature, remove outer wrapping. Thaw pastry sheets until they can easily be unfolded, not more than 40 minutes.
To thaw in the microwave, remove 1 pastry sheet from the box and wrap it in a paper towel. Place in the microwave for 15 seconds on HIGH. Flip the pastry sheet over. Microwave for another 15 seconds. If the pastry does not unfold easily, microwave another five seconds on each side.
Once the puff pastry has thawed, work quickly while it is still cold.
Scrumptious, Comforting, and Impressive
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Puff pastry is a simple dough that is stretched and folded to form multiple layers. When the dough bakes, the layers puff up as the moisture in the dough turns into steam, creating that amazing flaky texture that everyone loves.
Sure. It can be assembled and refrigerated on baking sheets, covered, for up to 2 days. Chicken puffs can also be baked ahead of time and served at room temperature.
Be careful when handling puff pastry that hasn’t thawed completely; it will tear if you unfold it while it’s still frozen.
Don’t leave the dough out on the counter for too long; it’s much easier to handle right out of the fridge.
Roll out your Puff Pastry dough with a long, heavy rolling pin: it will help create an even pastry all over and you won’t have to press down too hard to roll it out.
When rolling out the ends and edges, be careful not to press the layers together too hard. This will prevent the pastry from rising.
It’s very important to drain the chicken and the vegetables very well for at least 10 minutes before stuffing the puff pastry.
You can use any kind of cheese you want. The more cheesy your chicken puff pastry is, the more delicious it would be.
Brushing the chicken puff pastry with egg whites gives it this nice golden color.
Look at This Golden Rustic Color
- chicken breasts
- puff pastry sheet
- olive oil
- onion /cubed small
- broccoli /finely chopped
- bell peppers/ any color
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- roasted garlic seasoning
- muenster or mozzarella cheese
- mushrooms drained
- egg white /to brush puff pastry with
Steps to Prep
To a medium pot on medium heat, add olive oil, cubed onions, and chicken and sauté’ for about 2-3 minutes.
Then add the chopped broccoli and bell peppers. Sauté’ for another 6-7 minutes.
Sprinkle the seasonings; paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, the roasted garlic seasoning, and salt to taste. Mix then strain and set aside to strain well.
Thaw out the puff pastry according to instructions. Using a rolling pin, roll out the puff pastry until it has doubled in size.
Fill in the center of the puff pastry with the strained chicken and veggie mix.
Top with the drained mushrooms then layer or sprinkle the cheese on top.
Fold the puff pastry from left to right then from right to left. Fold from the top and the bottom over the center (see video attached).
Using a flat wide spatula, carefully slide it under the filled puff pastry and with the other hand over the puff pastry, gently flip it onto a prepared baking sheet.
If you would like to decorate the top of your puff pastry, cut out about 4 1/2 inch strings from your puff pastry and cover so they don’t dry out. Then decorate the top vertically from left to right.
Brush the whole top of the puff pastry with egg whites.
Preheat oven to 450F then bake for 12-15 minutes or until its golden brown. Broil on high for about 1-2 minutes if needed.
Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before you slice and enjoy warm.
Your Family Will Fall in Love With These!
RECIPES YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS
- Meat Potato Onion Egg Skillet
- Simple Lebanese Meat and Rice-Hashweh
- Meat and Rice Stuffed Squash
- BEST Fattoush Salad with Dressing
- Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet
- Easy Fresh Guacamole Recipe
- Meat Pies – Lahme Bi Ajeen
- Blackened Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos
- Meat and Veggie Wellington Roll
- The Tastiest Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Puff Pastry
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, cubed small
- ½ cup broccoli, finely chopped
- ½ each bell peppers, any color
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic seasoning
- ½ cup muenster or mozzarella cheese, or about 3 halved slices
- 1 4 oz can mushrooms, drained
- 1 egg white, to brush puff pastry with
- To a medium pot on medium heat add olive oil and cubed onions and chicken and sauté’ for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the chopped broccoli and bell peppers. Saute’ for another 6-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the seasonings; paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, the roasted garlic seasoning, and salt to taste. Mix, then strain and set aside to strain well.
- Thaw out the puff pastry according to instructions. Using a rolling pin, roll out the puff pastry until it has doubled in size.
- Fill in the center of the puff pastry with the strained chicken and veggie mix.
- Top with the drained mushrooms, then layer or sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Fold the puff pastry from left to right then from right to left. Fold from the top and the bottom over the center (see video attached).
- Using a flat wide spatula, carefully slide it under the filled puff pastry and with the other hand over the puff pastry, gently flip it onto a prepared baking sheet.
- If you would like to decorate the top of your puff pastry, cut out about 4 ½ inch strings from your puff pastry and cover so they don’t dry out. Then decorate the top vertically from left to right.
- Brush the whole top of the puff pastry with egg whites.
- Preheat oven to 450F then bake for 12-15 minutes or until its golden brown. Broil on high for about 1-2 minutes if needed.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before you slice and enjoy warm.