This Best Creamy Hummus with Tahini is better than store-bought hummus and it will be a fan fav! You won’t believe your eyes once you make it.
So, it’s no secret that in the last decade or so hummus has become a staple in many homes. This Middle Eastern dip has become popular worldwide for lots of reasons.
It’s your Turn to Make your Own Hummus Recipe!
Where Does Hummus Come From?
The origins of hummus are always traced back to somewhere in the Middle East. Though exactly where is difficult to pinpoint, you can find variations in the recipe from place to place.
Some people even link its origins to a Greek form of the dish, but with quite a few variations. As with many dishes, ingredients are very similar but the preparation can vary.
My recipe is the Lebanese take on the dish with a few added ingredients to make it perfectly smooth.
The basic ingredients in my Best Creamy Hummus with Tahini recipe are cooked chickpeas and tahini.
What Makes Hummus So Popular?!
Hummus is a healthier dip substitute than other options. So, when you’re craving something salty with dip, make hummus your go-to.
Second, hummus is a great cold appetizer. It coalesces with many flavors and textures in a way no other appetizer can.
Furthermore, it’s a gluten-free, dairy-free (you can remove the yogurt in this recipe and add a little more tahini), and nut-free dish.
Finally, it’s one of those dishes that can be part of a main dish, a snack, a light lunch, a brunch with friends, or made into an on-the-go sandwich.
Can Vegans Have Hummus?
YES! Vegans can have hummus and hummus can be made VEGAN! Well, as a matter of fact, vegan hummus is the authentic way.
In this creamier hummus recipe I share, I did add yogurt for the batches of hummus to get the smoothest hummus version, but it can totally be omitted!
If you want the truth, it is one less ingredient to worry about adding. Simply omit the 2 tablespoons of yogurt and replace them with 2 tablespoons of tahini!
This is the vegan version of hummus! SMOOTH VEGAN HUMMUS RECIPE
Yummy Hummus Dip for Vegan!
What is the Best Tahini Paste to Use?
There are many Tahini favorite brands to choose from to use when making your creamiest hummus recipe!
To make Best Creamy Hummus with Tahini, I personally like to use the Al Kanater that I find at a local middle eastern market and at a market called La Hacienda in Hallandale Beach, Florida!
Another Tahini Brand I like is by Ziyad Brand which you can find on Amazon and at many international grocery stores!
Most brands you will find should work just fine, as long as they are 100% premium quality sesame seed paste.
There are many different variations of hummus/Houmous now that are available!
I have seen over 30 different flavors like beets, cilantro, roasted red peppers, garlic, and the list goes on.
I have tried many and they are also very delicious! You can experiment with this hummus by simply adding a little of the ingredient you are trying to incorporate.
Red pepper hummus is one of the popular easy hummus recipes! It is another super creamy hummus with roasted red peppers added.
- It can be served as a main dish with browned ground meat and pine nuts sprinkled on top.
- Serve with baked pita chips.
- Chill before serving for added thickness in texture.
- Throw in an avocado while blending or a dash of red pepper for added flavor and color.
- For an even smoother hummus, peel the chickpea skins off but not necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here’s the difference! While Tahini is made from raw sesame seeds, sesame paste is made from toasted or roasted sesame seeds.
You can replace the tahini with peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, almond butter, sesame paste, or Greek yogurt.
Hummus should be stored properly in an airtight container to keep out moisture and bacteria. It should be refrigerated. Store-bought stuff can last anywhere from 3 to 10 days past the “use by date”, while homemade version can last anywhere from 3 to 5 days from the day it was made.
How to Cook Dry Chickpeas?
Dried chickpeas can be cooked in different ways on a stovetop, using an instant pot, or a slow cooker. Cooking time varies from equipment to another.
If you cook chickpeas using a stovetop, then add soaked, drained, and rinsed chickpeas to enough water in a medium saucepan.
The key step is to add little baking soda to the cooking water or you will get chunky hummus.
Boil chickpeas for about 1 ½ to 2 hours. Chickpeas will take extra time if you don’t add baking soda.
Drain chickpeas from cooking liquid and follow the steps of my perfect hummus recipe to have an easy restaurant-style side dish.
What You Need to Make this Creamy Fluffy Hummus with Tahini
To make the best hummus recipe, you will need the following simple ingredients:
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): I use a can of chickpeas to make this homemade hummus recipe. You can also cook dry chickpeas and use them in this Mediterranean dip.
- Tahini: Tahini paste is the key ingredient of any good hummus recipe. It’s also an essential ingredient when you’re making baba ganoush (another popular middle eastern dip).
- Plain yogurt: To make rich and creamy hummus, add plain yogurt to the other ingredients when adding them to your high-powered blender or food processor.
- Olive oil: Use good quality extra-virgin olive oil for best results. Since there is no cooking, the raw olive oil flavor does shine through.
- Garlic cloves: To get a spicy and zesty hummus taste, add finely minced fresh garlic cloves.
- Fresh lemon juice: It is important for excellent creamy fluffy hummus.
- Ice cubes: Use ice cubes to make the hummus light and fluffy. Ice cubes also lighten the color of the tahini when it is added to cooked chickpeas. Use ice water or cold water instead of ice cubes.
- Salt: Added to taste. You can use kosher salt.
- Toppings: Garnish your bowl of hummus with fresh parsley, cayenne pepper, paprika, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Check the recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Ultra-Smooth Hummus From Scratch?
In a food processor, first add the drained chickpeas, garlic, fresh lemon juice, and salt, and blend on high speed until smooth.
Next, add yogurt and the tahini.
Spread the hummus on the desired serving dish and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper, and extra olive oil. Serve with warm pita bread, crackers, or vegetables.
Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Best Sweet Potato Casserole Ever
- Simple Skillet Flat Bread
- Keto Friendly Egg Wraps
- Lentil and Squash Vegan Soup Recipe
- Beef Shawarma Egg Rolls with Tahini Dip
- Ramen Noodle Chicken Soup (Instant Pot)
- Turkey and Mac Sandwich Leftovers
- Beef Shank Layered Fatteh
- Baked Stuffed Eggplant
- Shish Tawook Recipe – Lebanese Grilled Chicken Skewers
Easy Creamy Hummus with Tahini
Creamy Hummus With Tahini
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Parsley
- pinch of Cayenne Pepper or Paprika
- drizzle of olive oil
Hummus (Dairy Free – Without Yogurt)
- 3 cups drained chickpeas
- 1 cup Tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
Creamy Hummus With Tahini
- In a food processor, first add the drained chickpeas, garlic, fresh lemon juice, and salt, and blend on high speed until smooth.
- Next, add yogurt and the tahini.
- Spread the hummus on the desired serving dish and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper, and extra olive oil. Serve with warm pita bread, crackers, or vegetables.
Hummus (Dairy Free – Without Yogurt)
- Blend all the ingredients in a food processor for 3-5 minutes stopping machine to scrape down the edges a few times.
Really like you said, it is easy and fast to make hummus from scratch :), very helpful on how to create hummus from zero.
Thank you Hassan! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed this hummus recipe! Thank you for that feedback 🙂
Sooo easy to make and tastes even better than store bought Hummus! I’ve tried many Hummus recipe before but this was absolutely the best 😍
Excellent hummus recipe! Tried it exactly as the recipe card
Happy to share my homemade hummus recipe that’s on repeat at my house! So glad!
Elizabeth Beal says
One of the best recipes I have tried!
Thank you! So glad to hear you like it as much as I do!
Hands down, one of my favorite recipes!! It’s super creamy, well seasoned, and the step-by-step instructions truly are the key difference in giving it that dreamy whipped texture.