With staple ingredients that you likely have in your home like rice, onions, carrots, and parsley, you are on your way to making this hearty bowl to have all for yourself. But if I were you, I would definitely share with my family so they can also reap the benefits 😉
Are lentils nutritious?
Lentils are a known to be highly nutritious and packed with B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and potassium! Red lentils are split and cook quickly. They’re great for making soups and they have a somewhat sweet and nutty flavor.
In addition, they are high in fiber which aids in regular bowel movements and improve over all gut health.
What says warmth in fall or winter better than a satisfying bowl of hot soup? Nothing!! This soup is a must try for too many reasons to count. First of all, this soup is made of healthy ingredients. You know we all need an immunity boost during flu season. Secondly, it’s a one-pot preparation. So easy to prepare! Also, it works as a side-dish to any lunch or dinner. Even better, you can choose to have it as your main dish and feel full for quite a while!
What’s in red lentil soup?
- red lentils which are packed with vitamins and are a great source of protein
- rice which is considered a resistant starch and can help improve indigestion
- olive or avocado oil which have “good” fats if used appropriately
- onions which contain plenty of vitamins and minerals that promote health
- carrots which improve eye health and reduce the risk of cancer
- cumin spice which contains iron
- parsley which is a great source of vitamin K and supports bone health
Red lentil soup is more versatile than it may seem. You can add any vegetables of you choice. The great thing about a lentil soup is that it takes on the flavors you add to it. You can infuse whatever flavors appease your palette. Some variations include adding potatoes for an even more satisfying texture. Furthermore, you can add shallots for a stronger flavor. Some even add a bit of ginger for an added zing!
Recipes you may want to try
- America Goulash
- Carrot and Sweet Potato Thai Soup
- Easy Olive Bread
- Turkish Kafta Kabobs
- Vegetarian Lentil Sheppards Pie
- How to Make Seven Spices
Red Lentil Soup
- 1 ¾ cup red lentils 14 oz bag
- ¼ cup medium grain rice
- 3 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 3 quarts water
- 4 carrots cubed
- 2 onions cubed medium
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons cumin spice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lemon juice
- ½ bunch parsley chopped
- Add lentils and rice, wash repeatedly then soak in warm water. Meanwhile, in a medium pot on high heat add oil, then saute’ onions until translucent and semi caramelized.
- Add in cubed carrots and saute’ for a few minutes, then add the soaked and drained lentils and rice, bouillon cubes, cumin, salt, water. Allow to boil then lower to low-medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Once the soup is finished, then heat off then add in the lemon juice and chopped parsley. Add more water if you feel you need a looser consistency! Enjoy!