What could be better than biting into a warm, perfectly crisp, slightly salty french fry? These Healthy Baked French Fries pair well with almost anything and are far healthier than deep-fried ones.
No matter what you serve them with, these healthy baked French fries will be a hit!
Just Like the Real Deal
You can’t go wrong with a batch of baked homemade French fries as an appetizer with your favorite dips or as a side dish as part of an easy weeknight dinner.
They are so simple to prepare, seasoned with salt and olive oil, and using my top tips, you will have the most crispy and fluffy baked homemade fries to serve.
This is my go-to French fry recipe, and it never disappoints!
So Easy, So Healthy
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
Easy: These baked fries require very little preparation. Chop them, soak them in water, season them, and bake them.
Healthy: Because these fries are baked, you only need a small amount of oil to get them crispy. This makes them a healthier option than deep fried French fries.
So delicious! Guys, these homemade fries are incredible! They are also versatile. Feel free to season them with your favorite seasonings.
Are Baked Fries good for You?
Yes, baked fries are healthy when consumed in moderation and cooked properly.
While white potatoes have a bad reputation, much of that is due to how we typically prepare them (deep fried rather than baked), as well as the quantity in which we consume them.
Fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6 are all found in potatoes. All of these nutrients are beneficial to our bodies!
Moreover, French fries absorb excess oil while frying, making them greasy. This baking method allows you to control the amount of oil used and use far, far less.
Also, because of the reduced amount of oil, baked French fries have fewer calories and fat than fried counterparts.
Steps to Prep
First, Preheat oven to 400°F.
Next, Peel then wash the potatoes.
Now, Cut off the ends (the tips of each end) of each potato so that the ends are flat and not round.
Then, Cut the potatoes vertically into 3 flat slices.
After that, then cut each slice into potato wedges.
Then, place a parchment paper on a large baking sheet and place the cut potatoes on the parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt, then pour the olive oil all over the potatoes.
Now, Using your hands or a wooden spoon, mix well until all potatoes are coated.
Finally, bake for 40 minutes then broil on high for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
These baked French fries are tasty on their own. However, you can toss the finished baked fries with a some grated Parmesan cheese just before serving.
Season the baked fries with chili powder and a pinch of cumin to make spicy fries.
Absolutely! Just keep in mind that you will need to cook the fries in more batches.
Soaking the potatoes before baking removes the starch which allows them to crisp in the oven.
These crispy homemade fries are best served hot from the oven, but you can soak them ahead of time and then season and bake them when you’re ready. If you have any leftovers, they will keep in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. To get them nice and crispy again, reheat them quickly at a high temperature, 5-10 minutes at 400F.
- For these oven French fries, Idaho or russet potatoes are the best option.
- Cut the potatoes into equal-sized pieces. This will ensure that they cook evenly throughout.
- The best kept secret for getting crisp oven-baked fries is to soak them before baking. Soaking draws out the starch, which makes the fries firmer and less likely to clump together in the oven.
- Make sure the french fries are not overlapping on the baking sheet. This is critical in ensuring that the food cooks evenly and crisply. They will steam rather than crisp if they are overlapping.
- I also recommend flipping the fries in the oven. Flipping them helps to ensure that all sides are crispy!
- Don’t skimp on the oil. To crisp up the potatoes in the oven and give them a hint of that familiar French fry flavor, you need to season them with some oil. I use a basic extra-virgin olive oil in this recipe.
Healthy Baked French Fries Ingredients
- medium size Idaho potatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
(Scroll down for recipe details)
Recipes and Tricks You Must Try:
- Gigi Hadid’s Viral Pasta Recipe (without the vodka)
- The Best Macaroni Salad with Tuna
- How to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs in Under 10 Seconds
- Ten Minute All-Purpose Dough
- The Best Homemade Lasagna Recipe
- Perfectly Boiled and Seasoned Broccoli
- How to Store Lemon and Lime for 3 Months
- Layered Rice Veggie Pilaf with Chicken Thighs (Chicken Kabsa)
- Layered Hummus Veggie Dip Recipe
- Layered Chicken Biryani
Healthy Baked French Fries
- 6 Idaho potatoes medium size
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F
- Peel then wash the potatoes.
- Cut off the ends (the tips of each end) of each potato so that the ends are flat and not round.
- Cut the potatoes vertically into 3 flat slices then cut each slice into potato wedges.
- Place a parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- Place the cut potatoes on the parchment paper, sprinkle with salt, then pour the olive oil all over the potatoes. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, mix well until all potatoes are coated.
- Bake for 40 minutes then broil on high for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden.
Leave a Reply