Naturally vegetarian, this Sweet Potato Cajun Rice bowl is super healthy and absolutely satisfying any time of the day! A nutritious combination of veggies that will keep you full and your belly happy! Being a plant-based dish with added protein from the famous fruit, avocado, you’ll be getting lunch or dinner bowl packed with all kinds of healthy stuff your body needs.
What goes in this rice bowl?
This recipe calls for the sweet potato, onions, and the peppers to be baked. So, the great thing about it is that you can place them all on a baking sheet and bake them together! Super efficient and simple to do.
Another option is to quickly sauté the onions and peppers. Also, you can boil or microwave the sweet potatoes and BAM your life just got even easier!
What goes in this bowl?
- Staple ingredients you most likely have in your home right now! Lettuce or mixed greens and corn, it can be fresh corn, corn on the cob, or you can use canned corn like I did!
- Peppers! You most likely have peppers! You can use any color peppers you like. I didn’t have green peppers so I used what I had which were yellow, orange and red peppers.
- Did you know? Red, Orange, and Yellow Bell Peppers are full of great health benefits. They’re packed with vitamins and low in calories! They are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium and they also contain a healthy dose of fiber, folate, and iron.
- Avocados are probably my favorite part here. Why? Because they bring to the table plant-based protein to make this a perfectly balanced rice bowl.
How To Prep A Sweet Potato Cajun Rice Bowl?
- Drain corn
- Cook your favorite rice based on package instructions. I used long grain white rice.
- Roast the potatoes until golden brown. Another option that can cut your time is by microwaving the sweet potatoes.
- You can add more vegetables of your liking or you can omit some too
- Makes a great meal prep option since most of the ingredients can be pre-made or are ready to eat like the corn, mixed greens, diced saute’ed onions and mixed peppers! Prep the tahini sauce and you are set for a weeks worth of meal prepping!
- This rice bowl is so great if you are trying to maintain a balanced healthy lifestyle.
- Perfect for days you are trying to cut out meat and especially a good choice for vegans!
Did you know avocados are loaded with nutrients and vitamins your body needs like vitamin K, B5, B6 and vitamin E. Furthermore, they contain more potassium than a banana and are loaded with fiber which is excellent for your gut and digestive system. In addition, their fat content may help you absorb more nutrients from plant foods which is befitting for this recipe! source: Healthline
Did you know Tahini is loaded with antioxidants? Just another reason to add it to your diet when you can!
Other recipes to enjoy:
Cajun Sweet Potato Rice Bowl
- 2 sweet potatoes cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 onion cubed
- 1 cup mixed peppers diced
- 1 cup corn drained
- 1 hass avocado sliced or cubed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup tahini paste
- ¾ cup plain yogurt *VEGAN Yogurt for vegans
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- salt to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray. Place the peeled & cubed sweet potatoes, onions and peppers; bake for 15-18 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile cook rice according to instructions then place in serving bowl. Begin assembling the bowl by adding the baked potatoes, onions and peppers, mixed greens, corn, and sliced avocado. Top with tahini sauce then garnish with cilantro and a sprinkle of Cajun seasoning.
- 3. For the tahini dressing mix all ingredients then pour over rice bowl.