It is common knowledge that Indian cuisine serves the most mouthwatering flavor-infused dishes; and this Grilled Chicken Tikka (Tandoori Chicken) is nothing short of a whole culture within each bite.
Introducing boneless chicken thighs or breasts marinated in yogurt, lemon juice, and a thrilling spice mix, then grilled to your wildest food fantasies!
Grilled Chicken Tikka (Tandoori Chicken)
Indian cuisine sure has a way with aromatic heavy-flavored food. This Grilled Chicken Tikka (Tandoori Chicken) is not only mouth-wateringly good, but also an authentic taste of Indian cuisine that beats restaurant-served food anytime!
Enjoy this dish seared, baked, or broiled, and serve it with your side dish of choice. It is family and budget-friendly, and will definitely seep right into weekend meal plans!
What Is Chicken Tikka?
Chicken Tikka is one of India’s most favorite dishes. The word “Tikka” means bits or pieces in India. Chicken Tikka is basically pieces of chicken marinated in special seasoning mix and grilled on skewers.
Now this one is a bit different than my Chicken Tikka Masala with coconut milk, but I can guarantee that both are experiences you wouldn’t want to pass on!
Recipe Variations You Might Consider
There are plenty of ways you can relish on flavorful bites of your Grilled chicken Tikka (Tandoori chicken)!
I bet you have seen your favorite restaurant serving Tikka chicken bites on wooden skewers, and that’s how we do it in the Middle East! Let me show you how to achieve that!
First, start by soaking wooden skewers in water for about 10 minutes because this will prevent the wood from burning.
Then, cut your chicken thighs into equal size pieces and drop them into the marinade for as long as you can.
Finally, place the skewered chicken on a baking sheet lined with foil and grill at 390 degrees for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
Chicken Infused With Heavy Tandoori Spices
Sear, Bake, or Broil!
The best thing about this recipe is that you can enjoy it in loads of ways! Sear, bake, or broil your Tandoori Chicken to perfection, and enjoy a flavorful Indian authentic meal from the comfort of your home!
Sear: Start by placing your pan on high heat for a few minutes, then lower to medium heat. Place your chicken in the pan and sear for 4-5 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken.
Bake: Bake the covered chicken at 400°F for half an hour. Uncover, and bake for another half hour at 250°F.
Broil: This methods works really well with chicken thighs. Simply broil on high heat for about 15 minutes on each side. This would result in perfectly cooked chicken pieces with a nice and crisp sides.
How to Serve Your Grilled Chicken Tikka
Although the mix of flavors is enough to satisfy your wildest fantasies, it is always a good idea pairing your main attraction with a side dish that balances out the flavors and gives your meal and extra kick!
Pair your Grilled Chicken Tikka (Tandoori Chicken) with a side of fluffy white vermicelli rice, Basmati rice, Cajun rice, or your choice of refreshing salad! You might want to try my Fattoush salad, simply irresistible!
You can also enjoy this dish with some pita bread, skillet flat bread, or even some garlic paste.
Finally, I would also recommend squeezing a bit of lemon juice on top of those exotic-looking chicken to bring out all those infused flavors!
It is always best to enjoy this restaurant-like authentic Indian dish hot and steamy, but if you ever find yourself with leftovers, here’s the proper way to store, freeze, and thaw your Grilled chicken Tikka (Tandoori Chicken).
Store: Store your chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
Freeze: Drop your chicken in an airtight container or freezer baggie and add the pre-prepared marinade. Lay you chicken flat in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Thaw: Allow your chicken to thaw in the fridge overnight before using.
Those Spices Sure Be Waking Up Your Taste Buds!
Tips for Restaurant-Style Tandoori Chicken
Tip 1: Pour a few drops of Mustard oil, and Gram flour (besan) in your chicken marinade. These ones are found in most Indian dishes and adds a slightly smoky taste that you will definitely appreciate.
Tip 2: Keep in mind that this dish is best prepared beforehand. The more you soak in the chicken in the marinade, the more flavors you’ll enjoy within each bite.
Tip 3: Although chicken breasts work well in this recipe, I would prefer if you use boneless chicken thighs because the result is moist and mouthwatering.
Frequently Asked Questions
The difference is actually quite subtle. Chicken Tikka is basically a grilled piece of meat marinated in yogurt and spices. However, Tikka Masala holds the same flavors, in addition to a gravy sauce.
Although some restaurants use food dye to achieve that classic red color, I would prefer if we steer away from the dye and drop some kashmiri chili powder, or a few saffron strands in the marinade .
This really depends if you are using chili pepper in your recipe. This dish is heavy with all those delicious flavors, but not necessarily spicy. Either ways the usage of yogurt dims the spices in the dish.
The Ingredients You’ll Need
- boneless chicken thighs or chicken breast
- olive oil
- plain yogurt
- lemon juice
- garlic powder
- Tandoori masala spice
- Cheyenne pepper (optional)
Follow The Instructions
First, cut the chicken horizontally and vertically but not all the way through the chicken. This would allow the rub to seep right through and infuse your chicken with lots lots of flavors.
Next, in a bowl, mix together the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, coriander, cumin, sumac, paprika, garlic powder, minced garlic, tandoori masala spice, Cheyenne, pepper and salt.
Then, pour over the chicken and rub all over and inside all the indents. Marinate for 4 hours, or overnight for the best flavor.
Finally, grill or place on the middle rack in the oven and broil on high heat for about 13-15 minutes on each side. Enjoy!
Other Amazing Recipes For You
- Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Puff Pastry
- Easy Persian Walnut Stew-Fesenjan
- Baked Cumin Chicken And Potatoes
- Chicken And Potato Béchamel Bake
- Chinese Mushroom Chicken Over Beef Hotlink Rice
- Easy Chicken Curry With Vegetables
- Chicken Fettucine Alfredo
- Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet
- Easy Chicken Tikka Masala With Coconut Milk
- Easy Grilled Chicken Sub Sandwich
The Best Grilled Chicken Tikka (Tandoori Chicken)
- 1.5 lbs boneless chicken thighs or chicken breast cut in half
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 5 tbsp. plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp. salt
- ½ lemon juice
- ½ tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. sumac
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1½ tbsp. garlic powder
- 3 garlic minced
- 1½ tbsp. Tandoori masala spice
- 1 tsp. Cheyenne pepper optional
- Cut the chicken horizontally and vertically, but not all the way through the chicken.
- In a bowl, mix together the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, coriander, cumin, sumac, paprika, garlic powder, minced garlic, tandoori masala spice, Cheyenne pepper, and salt
- Pour over the chicken and rub all over and inside all the indents. Marinate for 4 hours or overnight for the best flavor.
- Grill or place on the middle rack in the oven and broil on high heat for about 13-15 minutes on each side,
- Pour a few drops of Mustard oil, and Gram flour (besan) in your chicken marinade. These ones are found in most Indian dishes and adds a slightly smoky taste that you will definitely appreciate.
- Keep in mind that this dish is best prepared beforehand. The more you soak in the chicken in the marinade, the more flavors you’ll enjoy within each bite.
- Although chicken breasts work well in this recipe, I would prefer if you use boneless chicken thighs because the result is moist and mouthwatering.