This warm, comforting bowl of Easy Chicken Curry with Vegetables will make your week! Seared cubed chicken with veggies like onions, peppers, potatoes, peas, carrots, and mushrooms come together in a rich creamy curry broth to make the perfect meal of the day, and even week, if you end up with left overs.
You know dinner was extra good when you wake up the next morning craving a bowl! You know that happens, don’t act surprised lol! Some meals are just THAT good, and this is one of them! Robust flavors, wonderful textures, delectable ingredients that marry so well you’ll be craving it more often than you imagine!
What Makes a Good Chicken Curry Dish?
For starters, making your own curry paste at home is definitely on the top of the list. Nothing beats homemade sauces, especially when it comes to an authentic curry paste or sauce.
You more than likely already have the ingredients in your pantry and fridge, if not, make a quick trip to your local grocery store. Or, place a quick order online for pickup or delivery!
Unless you’re really craving it and have very little prep time, don’t skimp on making the curry sauce on your own. Store-bought curry paste won’t give your dish the edge it needs.
Another important trick for a great-tasting curry dish is the freshness and variety of the ingredients. This particular dish calls for plenty of veggies, so the fresher they are they better their flavors will accentuate the chicken and the sauce.
Also, the variety in veggies and spices and ensuring the combinations of both marry well together does wonders for leveling up flavor! Using just the right amounts of garlic and ginger is essential to the balance of flavors in this dish, as is the curry spice.
You don’t want one thing overpowering everything else and that’s easy if you don’t measure out or get carried away with the spices!
Finally, searing your chicken just right helps trap juices of the chicken for added flavors. You can opt for marinating your chicken ahead of time in a bit of the same spices like ginger, garlic, and curry.
When you sear the cubed marinated chicken, you’ll be trapping those juices and flavors in, therefore adding an extra kick of flavor to your dish!
Want a Vegan Version?
You can definitely make this chicken curry with vegetables dish vegan with these two swaps! Replace milk with coconut milk and chicken with tofu. For the tofu, cube into bite size pieces then sauté’ on each side and set aside.
Add the tofu right before you begin to simmer the stew. If you’d like some depth of flavor you can add an extra vegetable bouillon cube. You’ll get all the full-bodied flavors of the original dish but in vegan form!
- chicken breast
- avocado oil
- milk or coconut milk, almond milk or oat milk
- garlic and ginger paste
- bouillon cubes (optional)
- curry spice
Tips for Chicken Curry with Vegetables:
- Use any vegetables of your liking! My recipe calls for vegetables that my family and I enjoy but you can others like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, or string beans.
- If you can’t make the curry paste/sauce, then go ahead and get a store-bought jar and use it. Store-bough curry is better than none at all!
- Going for extra spicy flavors, you can add a little extra zing by adding more ginger or garlic, using a spicy curry mix, or adding jalapenos to the dish. You can also simply add some red chili flakes or cayenne pepper on your dish before eating!
- Always go for the freshest vegetables and ingredients for enhanced flavors!
- Want a thicker and more dense broth? Use chicken thighs or any piece of chicken still on the bones! The bone will give the broth a ton more flavor and more hearty feel.
- If you choose to marinate your chicken, you can use similar spices from the curry sauce or you can give it more zest and marinate in some lemon juice!
- Serve the final product over a bed of rice: jasmine, basmati, or rice of choice. You can also serve a side salad along with it!
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, parsley, or shallots!
Frequently Asked Questions
Olive or avocado oil – used for sautéing. Cubed chicken breast, potatoes, carrots, peas, mushrooms, peppers and onions and only curry spice.
Yes, you can uses tofu if you’re looking for a vegan option. If you just aren’t in the mood for chicken, you can use beef shanks or shrimp.
Definitely! You create your sauce in the cooker first, then add chicken and veggies. Total cook time can be around four hours on high or six to eight hours on low.
Leftover chicken curry can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to three months!
Recipes You May Want to Try
- EASY CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA WITH COCONUT MILK
- VIRAL AIR FRYER PASTA CHIPS (WITH ZAATAR)
- CAJUN SALMON RICE WITH TAHINI SALAD
- CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI FETTUCINE ALFREDO
- MEAT PIES – LAHME BI AJEEN
- AISH EL SARAYA- ROSE WATER BREAD PUDDING
- CHOCOLATE COFFEE AVOCADO PUDDING
- BEEF SHAWARMA EGG ROLLS – AIR FRIED
Easy Chicken Curry with Vegetables
- 2 lbs chicken breast cubed
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 3 large potatoes cubed
- 1 large onion cubed
- 1 cup carrots cubed
- 1 cup colored peppers sliced
- ½ cup peas
- 1 13.2 oz can mushrooms drained
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups milk or coconut milk, almond milk or oat milk
- 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
- 2 bouillon cubes optional
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup curry spice
- In a large pot add avocado oil on high heat the add the cubed chicken. Sear on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the ginger and garlic paste, onions, carrots, potatoes, peas and peppers to sauté' together for about 8 minutes.
- Then add the bouillon cubes (optional), curry spice, salt, and 2 cups of water
- In a bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of flour with 3 cups of milk until flour is diluted, then pour into the heated pot. Stir well and allow to come to a boil until sauce has slightly thickened
- Simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Serve over warm rice.