This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Middle Eastern food is, once again, in for the win! This Egyptian-inspired Béchamel Pasta Bake, also known as Macarona Béchamel, is a hearty and creamy pasta casserole that is fighting to win a standing ovation from your guests this evening!
A casserole layered with a well-seasoned beef mixture, baked pasta, and a deliciously creamy Béchamel sauce! Topped with a golden layer of Mozzarella cheese? Simply irresistible!
Béchamel Pasta Bake
I have always been a fan of a good filling casserole. Whether it is a bite of my Sweet Potato Casserole, or a drool-worthy visit from my Cinnamon Roll Brioche Toast Casserole, these recipe are creamy, dreamy, and will turn out to be a crowd-favorite in no time (If I do say so myself!).
Give it a try, and share with us your experience in the comments below! I have a hunch I will be seeing a lot more of you in the future!
Baked Pasta is Always a Good Idea!
What’s a Béchamel Pasta Bake?
You shouldn’t be too surprised to know that this Béchamel Pasta Bake has a whole lot of Middle Eastern charm hidden deep inside its creamy bits!
You heard that right! Macarona Béchamel is an Egyptian recipe that kind of resembles Italian Lasagna. It is said that Egyptians were introduced to the creamy Béchamel sauce by the French during the occupation.
I guess the Egyptians sprang their special Middle Eastern magic dust and a loved masterpiece was born!
Egyptian-Inspired Recipes Just Hit Different!
Recipe Variations You Might Consider!
Although this Macarona Béchamel is packed with mouthwatering flavors, people from around the world are putting their creativity to good use! So, here are a bunch of recipe variations that I think you might enjoy!
If you are not a fan of beef, then you can easily substitute it with boneless chicken breasts. Start by cutting them into pieces, season with salt, pepper, olive oil, and garlic powder, then follow the recipe mentioned below!
I have also seen many recipes that insert vegetables into the mix, such as green, red, or yellow pepper or even mushrooms. I have never personally tried it, but I guess creamy pasta dishes are a great way to sneak in some vegetables for the kiddos or picky eaters!
Finally, feel free to play around with the seasoning. If you are a fan of a good spicy bite, then adding red chilly flakes is the key!
Try It With Chicken!
How to Store The Béchamel Pasta Bake
And before you know it, this Béchamel Pasta Bake recipe will make frequent appearances at your dinner table and special occasions. But who’s complaining?!
Here’s everything you need to know about storing, freezing, and reheating your Béchamel Pasta Bake.
To store: Store your leftover Béchamel Pasta Bake in an airtight container (or covered with suran wrap) in the fridge for about 3-5 days. But if you are planning to make-ahead, then you can assemble everything the day before, pop it in the fridge, then bake it when you are ready.
To freeze: Start by assembling your meal, cover it well with aluminum foil, then pop it in the freezer.
To Thaw: When you are ready to enjoy a savory bite, allow your Macarona Béchamel to thaw overnight in the fridge. Bake as instructed and enjoy!
Store it for Days Ahead!
Tips for Perfect Results
Tip 1: Don’t overcook your pasta. Your dish will continue to bake for about 30 minutes after you assemble everything together.
Tip 2: Use room temperature butter and milk (not hot or boiling). Using cold ingredients will make whisking the ingredients a bit of a hassle.
Tip 3: To enhance the taste, some people add broth to the mix. This is completely optional, but it is said to add so much flavor to your Béchamel pasta.
Don’t Be Shy, Spread The Love!
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure you can! Adjust the thickness of your sauce by using more or less liquid than it is recommended. For example, if your want your Béchamel sauce to be thicker, than add a bit of milk.
Personally, I would never say no to cheese. However, feel free to skip this step since your Béchamel Pasta already has a deep rich creamy flavor.
Yup! My recipe calls for using elbow noodles, but you can definitely use any type of pasta you want. Penne is a great option.
Creamy, Dreamy, and Downright Delicious!
The Ingredients You Will Need
Red Pasta and Beef
- elbow noodles
- ground beef
- salt or vegeta, to taste
- seven spices or black pepper
- olive oil
- pasta sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- unsalted butter
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- whole milk
- ground black pepper
Practice Self-Care…Bake Pasta!
Follow The Instructions
First, In a medium pot over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
Second, sprinkle in flour and whisk for 1 to 2 minutes until well combined.
Next, while whisking, slowly pour in the milk. Whisk aggressively to break up any lumps.
Then, continue to whisk for about 2-4 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
Finally, remove off of the heat and season with salt and pepper.
Red Pasta and Beef
First, preheat oven to 400°F.
Boil the elbow noodles according to the box instructions then drain. Split the elbow noodles in half in two separate bowls, then set aside.
Meanwhile, add 1/4 cup of olive oil to a pan on medium high heat. Sauté the cubed onions for about 3-4 minutes, then add the ground beef and continue to sear for 5-7 minutes until ground beef is cooked.
Next, pour the cooked ground beef and onions onto one bowl of cooked noodles, then add all the pasta sauce over them and mix well. Pour the pasta into a 9×13 baking sheet or a 10-12 inch round pan. Spread it and level out the pasta.
Then, in the other bowl, pour over the prepared béchamel sauce. Mix, then pour over the red pasta and level the pasta out once again.
Finally, sprinkle mozzarella cheese all over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, then broil on high for 1-4 minutes, or more if needed, until cheese is golden. Serve warm!
Some Visual Inspirations for You!
Mixing Well is the Key!
Pour it Into a Round Pan!
Time for The Béchamel!
Never Enough Cheese!
Baked to Golden Perfection!
Other Delicious Recipes for You!
- Easy Stovetop Lasagna Skillet
- Beef And Broccoli Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Taco Queso Dip-Viral TikTok Dip
- Easy 15 Minute Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Beef Steak Fajita Bowl With a Kick
- Sujuk Fatteh or Fattet Sujuk
- Beef Shank Layered Fatteh
- Easy Bean Taco Pie
- Easy Kabsa With Beef Shanks
Béchamel Pasta Bake (Macarona Béchamel)
Red Pasta And Beef
- In a medium pot over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk for 1 to 2 minutes until combined.
- While whisking, slowly pour in the milk. Whisk aggressively to break up any lumps.
- Continue to whisk for about 2-4 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove off of the heat and season with salt and pepper.
Béchamel Pasta Bake
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Boil the elbow noodles according to the box instructions, then drain. Split the elbow noodles in half in two separate bowls and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add 1/4 cup of olive oil to a pan on medium high hear. Sauté the cubed onions for about 3-4 minutes, then add the ground beef and continue to sear for 5-7 minutes until ground beef is cooked.
- Pour the cooked ground beef and onions onto one bowl of cooked noodles. Add all the pasta sauce over them and mix well.
- Pour the pasta into a 9×13 baking sheet, or a10-12 inch round pan, then spread it and level out the pasta.
- In the other bowl, pour over the prepared béchamel sauce. Mix, then pour over the red pasta and level out the pasta once again.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese all over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, then broil on high for 1-4 minutes or more if needed until cheese is golden.
- Serve warm!
- Don’t overcook your pasta. Your dish will continue to bake for about 30 minutes after you assemble everything together.
- Use room temperature butter and milk (not hot or boiling). Using cold ingredients will make whisking the ingredients a bit of a hassle.
- To enhance the taste, some people add broth to the mix. This is completely optional, but it is said to add so much flavor to your Béchamel pasta.