For those who believe that making sushi needs pro chef skills, don’t underestimate our creative minds! This Easy No-Roll Sushi Cubes recipe will have you eating hassle-free sushi for dinner any day of the week!
Introducing a meal of cooked rice coasted with a homemade vinegar mix, sushi nori sheet, and your preferred addition of fish, vegetables, or fruits! And the only tool you will need? Ice cube trays!
Consider this a little fun DIY project the whole family can enjoy!
Homemade No-Roll Sushi Cubes
This No-Roll Sushi Cubes recipe gives you the ultimate hack any sushi lover will definitely appreciate! It is a modern take on a classic meal that is sure to impress the crowds!
Enjoy the fine tastes of Japanese cuisine made with a variety of ingredients in ice cube molds!
And while you are at it, check out the different variations, servings ideas, and vegetarian options I listed below!
Serving Ideas For Your No-Roll Sushi Cubes!
If you are a true sushi fan, you would know that those medium sized bites are best served with a variety of sides that even out the flavors perfectly!
Serve your No-Roll Sushi Cubes with a side of seasoned nori, Kinshi Tamago, pickled ginger, wasabi paste, radish sprouts, or a classic cup of soy sauce.
As for toppings, cream cheese, white or black sesame seeds, or a homemade dressing of mayonnaise , lime juice, and sesame oil, would beautifully complement your sushi bites.
Vegetarian Option? Bring It On!
One thing I know for sure is that sushi will find a way to seep into any kind of diet, including a meatless one! There are loads of vegetarian options you can enjoy to satisfy your Asian food cravings!
Fill you cubes with cucumbers, spinach, asparagus, carrots, eggplant, sweet potatoes, shiitake mushrooms, or even red bell pepper!
You might also opt for some fruits such as avocado slices, mango, kiwi, or even pineapple. I tried the strawberry sushi once as a valentine special offer, and let me tell you that thing was next level delicious!
A Creative Hack For The Best Homemade Sushi!
Recipe Variations You Might Consider
The best thing about the internet is that it allows those adventurous people out there to share their food discoveries with the rest of us! So after mastering this No-Roll Sushi Cubes recipe, here are some recipe variations you might consider getting your hands busy with!
A sushi bowl brings out everything you love about sushi but in a bowl! This one is a mix of rice, carrots, cucumber, avocado, any addition of your choice, and topped with crumbled nori.
Turn your sushi bites into a burrito by rolling some rice, tofu, your choice of vegetables and fruits, and mayo in a seaweed wrap instead of tortilla bread! Pretty cool, huh?
Finally, if you are looking for a healthier approach, try substituting the rice with a mix of quinoa and miso paste, cauliflower rice, or even whole wheat couscous!
Although the taste isn’t the same, it still presents a tasty healthier alternative to your favorite Japanese meal!
While some people eat sushi with a mission of savoring the flavors to the very last bite (jealous btw!), others call it a successful meal with only a few pieces.
If you are the latter, then there is no reason for you to worry about your leftovers! Here’s how to store your homemade No-Roll Sushi Cubes!
Pack the sushi bites tightly in plastic wrap, place in an airtight container, then pop it in the fridge for a maximum of 24 hours after preparation.
If you are dealing with fresh fish, make sure you freeze it for 24 hours before using to kill parasites. Also, you should never allow your fish to thaw for more than 4 hours at room temperature. Once time is up, start cooking!
Customizable To Fit Any Diet!
Tips For Perfect No-Roll Sushi Cubes!
Tip 1: Prepare everything beforehand! Make sure you have all the ingredients and items you are going to need before starting the cooking session.
Tip 2: If you are afraid that your rice will stick to the ice cube trays even after spraying cooking oil, then lay cling film on the tray and make sure it is pushed all the way down. Once ready, flip the tray and enjoy the sushi cubes.
Tip 3: Don’t overfill the cubes, or you will find yourself with a mess of spilled rice once you try to flip the trays.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are into the classics, you can choose to make sushi the traditional way using a bamboo mat, or even a thick towel. But if these items aren’t available, an ice cube tray does the trick and ensures a great experience.
Although the best option for making sushi is using sushi rice, or what is known as short grain white rice. However, brown rice or quinoa can work as alternatives. Just make sure you adjust the water, vinegar, and sugar to the mixture to get the desirable sticky texture.
Although it is not recommended, you can use leftover rice to make sushi. Simply, drop the rice in a pan, add some cold water and a few tablespoons of flour. This would help the rice get sticky. Bring it to a boil, then allow it to cool before using.
The Ingredients You Will Need
- short grain white rice
- rice vinegar
- smoked salmon
- sushi nori
- boiled asparagus
- cream cheese
- cooked shrimp
- hass avocado
Follow The Directions
First, cook the short grain rice according to package instructions, or in a rice cooker with 2 cups of water.
Second, mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan, and cook on low heat until the sugar and salt dissolves.
Next, transfer your rice to a large bowl and fold in the vinegar mixture. Once all of the rice is coated, set it aside and allow it to cool to room temperature.
Then, cut the sushi nori sheet into the same size as your ice cubes tray. Lightly spray your ice cube tray with cooking oil, and add a little rice to some cubes. You can opt for beginning with the nori sheet or your favorite veggies or smoked salmon. Layer it as you wish.
Finally, pack in the last layer of rice. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, then flip onto a serving board. Top with thinly sliced avocado, and enjoy with wasabi and soy sauce!
PIN It Sushi Lovers!
Other Recipe You Might Enjoy!
- Cucumber-Yogurt Mint Garlic Salad
- TikTok’s Viral Green Goddess Salad
- Easy Stovetop Lasagna Skillet
- Spinach Pie Pockets
- Cajun Rice
- Easy Taco Queso Dip-Viral TikTok Dip
- Miso Ramen Tofu Soup
- Beef And Broccoli Sweet Potatoes
- KFC Copycat Baked Potato Wedges
- Smoked Cauliflower Steaks Recipe
The Best Sushi Hack: Easy No-Roll Sushi Cubes!
- 4 oz. smoked salmon cut horizontally into ½ inch strips
- 1 package sushi nori
- 1 cucumber peeled and seeded and sliced into thin sticks
- 1 cup boiled asparagus cut into ½ inch
- ½ block cream cheese 4 oz.
- 1 cup cooked shrimp thin cut vertically
- 1 hass avocado cut into thin slices
- Cook the short grain rice according to package instructions, or in a rice cooker with 2 cups of water.
- Mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and cook on low heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Transfer your rice to a large bowl and fold in the vinegar mixture. Once all of the rice is coated, set aside and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Cut the sushi nori sheet into the same size as your ice cube tray. Lightly spray your ice cube tray with cooking oil, and add a little rice to some cubes. You can also begin with the nori sheet, your favorite veggies, or smoked salmon. Layer it as you wish.
- Last layer should be rice. Pack it in good. Refrigerate for 10 minutes then flip onto a serving board. Top with thinly sliced avocado. Enjoy with wasabi, and dip it in some soy sauce!
- Prepare everything beforehand! Make sure you have all the ingredients and items you are going to need before starting the cooking session.
- If you are afraid that your rice will stick to the ice cube tray even after spraying cooking oil, then lay cling film on the tray and make sure it is pushed all the way down. Once ready, flip the tray and enjoy the sushi cubes.
- Don’t overfill the cubes, or you will find yourself with a mess of spilled rice once you try to flip the trays.