When we look for effortless treats and desserts to prepare from scratch, we often eliminate donuts, and that is because it takes up hours of prepping, even though donuts are everyone’s favorite! However, this 15-minute homemade donut recipe will definitely blow your mind away.
You heard right! Soft donuts can be made in less than 20 minutes, with a handful of ingredients. This recipe will grant you the desired outcome. The donuts will turn out fluffy and soft, and will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth cravings.
The Best Homemade Donuts
Donuts Ready in a Flash
The key to easy and quick donuts is to choose the right shape. Ball-shaped donuts, for instance, a simple and uncomplicated shape, will not take much of your precious time. Especially if you are hosting birthdays or friend gatherings.
Bite-size donuts or ball-shaped donuts are quick to prepare. First, you are only asked to heat the oil, prepare the dough, and pop the donut holes in the hot oil before coating them with what your heart desires. That way, you will be reducing the kneading and the shaping time.
Besides, by making homemade batches of donuts using this particular recipe you will impress your kids, family, and guests. The fresh donuts will not soak up the oil, instead, you will be having tender donuts with a golden crispy exterior.
Different Homemade Donuts Topping Ideas
How many times have you stood in the donut shop staring at the displayed donuts, not knowing which flavors you would like to have? Some people tend to go crazy with their donut coatings and flavors. Whereas, others prefer to stick with the classics.
However, the good thing about it, is that it is incredibly easy to coat your homemade donuts with whatever you choose or best fits your dietary standards. Whether it is in the creative category or the classics.
Let us start with everyone’s favorite, cinnamon sugar topping. It is easy, simple, sweet, and aromatic. You just have to combine granulated sugar with a bit of cinnamon. This topping adds an extra crunchy texture and an irresistible flavor.
Another incredible topping would be powdered sugar. This topping grants the donuts a soft, sweet, and light taste. You can dust the sugar on the donuts, or you could just dip them in a plate filled with powdered sugar.
Also, to add a pop of color or flavor to your homemade donuts you can add chocolate or colorful sprinkles. But before doing so, you must glaze the donuts and allow it to dry, then add the sprinkles on top.
The Perfect Bite!
Tips and Tricks For the Easiest Donuts
This tip is very crucial, before frying the donuts make sure that the oil is hot enough for the donuts. It should not be too hot or too cold. Use a thermometer to check the temperature, it should be 360 degrees F.
Make sure to use clean and fresh oil. Don’t over-use the oil, or you will not get the desired result.
It is very important to fry small batches of donuts, and not all at once. This way you will avoid greasy and uncooked donuts.
When choosing the topping for the donuts, remember that the dough is not sweet enough. So, you need to cover them with sweet toppings in order to balance out the flavors.
Try having these delicious donuts on the same day. Since they dry out when kept for the next day.
If you decided to prepare sugared donuts, make sure to roll them directly after they have been fried.
Don’t over-mix the dough.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
It is better to have them fresh. However, it is absolutely possible to store them for later but you must make sure that the donuts have completely cooled before doing so. All you have to do is to wrap them in a foil or to place them in an air-tight container in a fridge. They can keep for up to a week.
Any neutral flavored oil is ok, as it should have a high smoke point. Vegetable oil is ideal in this case.
Fill one cup of milk and add to it one tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice.
Homemade Donuts Ingredients
Granulated sugar: this ingredient is vital for the dough and it is also used to coat the donuts.
All-purpose flour: this type of flour is necessary since it contains the right amount of gluten needed for the dough to get that soft and tender texture.
Salt: it is used to balance out the flavors. Do not skip it!
Baking powder: if you want the donuts to get fluffy, then you must add baking powder.
Melted butter: butter is known to elevate and enrich the dough. Make sure to use real butter for a perfect flavor and texture.
Vegetable oil: it is an essential ingredient needed to fry the donuts.
Milk: this recipe uses whole milk, but, it is also possible to use buttermilk.
Powdered sugar: it is used for dusting.
(scroll down for recipe details)
Other Easy Recipes You Will Love
- Easy Christmas Butter Cookies
- 4 Ingredient Date Filled Cookies
- Blender Mango Soft Serve |Ice Cream in 5 Minutes
- Easy 5-Ingredient Ashta Recipe
- Chocolate Covered Mango Strawberry Yogurt Bars
- Lazy Cake (No Bake Chocolate Biscuit Cake)
- Easy knafeh with Mozzarella Cheese
- Easy 2-Ingredient Ricotta Cheese
- No Bake Chocolate Covered Coconut Biscuit Date Balls
- Caramelized Pineapple with Cinnamon and Honey
15-Minute Homemade Donuts
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup whole milk or buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Oil For Frying
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Preheat the oil to 360℉.
- Combine the sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the milk and melted butter.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, and knead the dough. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough and shape the donuts into a small ball size.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully add a few donuts to the pan at a time. Fry each side for about 1-2 minutes, or until they turn golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fried donuts to a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Mix the granulated sugar and ground cinnamon in a shallow dish until well combined.
- While the donuts are still warm, roll each one in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until coated evenly.
- Serve the quick homemade donuts warm and enjoy!
- This tip is very crucial, before frying the donuts make sure that the oil is hot enough for the donuts. It should not be too hot or too cold. Use a thermometer to check the temperature, it should be 360 degree F.
- Make sure to use clean and fresh oil. Don’t over-use the oil, or you will not get the desired result.
- It is very important to fry small batches of donuts, and not all at once. This way you will avoid greasy and uncooked donuts.
- When choosing the topping for the donuts, remember that the dough is not sweet enough. So, you need to cover them with sweet toppings in order to balance out the flavors.
- Try having these delicious donuts in the same day. Since they dry out when kept for the next day.
- If you decided to prepare sugared donuts, make sure to roll them directly after they have been fried.
- Don’t over mix the dough.