Who can believe that mixing boiling water and sugar will form a whipped thick foam we are all falling for? So cool! Dalgona Coffee is the new iced coffee trend that originated in South Korea and now has gone viral on TikTok.
This chilled cup of coffee is so simple, yet so unique! It is frothy, refreshing, and actually soothing to make. You can now enjoy the trendy drink that a lot of people order in coffee shops.
Refreshing Morning Coffee
So What is Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona coffee is a refreshing two layers drink made with iced milk and sweet coffee foam on top. This delicious cold coffee is also known as whipped coffee.
The name of dalgona coffee is credited to the South Korean actor Jung Il-Woo who ordered this drink during his appearance on a TV show called Stars’ Top Recipe at Fun-Staurant.
Immediately, the actor links the taste of this coffee to the Korean dalgona candy and called it dalgona coffee.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, this Korean Dalgona coffee was popularized on social media, especially on tiktok.
Since this tiktok coffee is spread among the world, then it is known under different names according to other cultures and countries.
The Similar Drink is known as Frappe Coffee in Greece and Phenti Hui Coffee or hand-beaten coffee in India.
Different Ways to Enjoy the Dalgona
This cup of frothy milk topped with whipped coffee is so refreshing and really delicious if you ask me. I would totally serve this for my guests so they can think I am all fancy.
In your favorite glass cup, add the cold milk of your choice over ice cubes. Top it with the whipped dalgona coffee and stir using a straw or spoon.
Sip deeply and feel it in your bones! I personally loved this glass of milk since it felt like having a wholesome hefty treat.
If you prefer hot coffee, the good news is that you can also enjoy Dalgona coffee as a hot drink. All you have to do is to heat the milk and add whipped coffee on the top without ice cubes.
Like Dessert in a Cup!!
If you ask me about the best part, then the immediate answer is enjoying this whipped coffee.
However, if you ask about the good news. Then you will be amazed that this is an easy drink to serve on special occasions like a birthday party or a friendly gathering.
Be creative by sprinkling on the top of each serving different types of toppings. You can garnish cocoa powder or crumbled cookies. A drizzle of chocolate or honey syrup will also add a heavenly taste to your cup.
You will not be mistaken if you serve this ultimate treat with Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe, Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies, Chocolate Quinoa Cookies, etc.
Dalgona Coffee Variations
Vegan: One way to make this drink available for vegans is to use almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, soy milk, or any milk your heart desires. Then simply add the whipped water, sugar, and coffee!
Low carb-Keto: The way to enjoy Dalgona and keep it low-carb and sugar-free (perfect for diabetics as well) is by adding heavy whipping cream over ice. You can whip the coffee using water and if you want to go all out like me, you can replace the water with heavy cream!
Incredibly Delicious Fluffy Coffee
Pro Tips for Best Results
- I prefer using a tall glass cup since it looks so pretty!
- To get as much air whipped into the coffee, you need to whip water/milk and coffee in a heat-proof large bowl at the highest speed using an electric whisk. Don’t whisk them in a mug.
- You can adjust the sweetness of the coffee by increasing or decreasing the amount of sugar you add.
- The best instant coffee to use for dalgona coffee is the instant coffee granules that have a bit of a sour flavor. Any brand works well.
- Don’t opt for regular ground coffee beans you use to make drip coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions
The taste of dalgona coffee has a mildly sweet flavor that is similar to coffee ice cream.
To make dalgona whipped coffee, you should use granulated sugar. White sugar, brown sugar, raw sugar, and even coconut sugar work well.
You can make dalgona Korean coffee using a milk frother, stand mixer, or hand whisk.
Store whipped coffee leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4-6 days. After that, it will slowly break down.
Yes, you can. The coffee will whip on its own, however, it doesn’t last long as the best results happen when adding white granulated sugar.
To make this dalgona coffee recipe, you need the following 4 simple ingredients:
- instant coffee
- sugar or xylitol for a sugar-free option
- whole milk or almond milk
First, heat milk or water until hot.
Then, in a medium bowl, whip hot water or hot milk with instant coffee and sugar or xylitol Use an electric hand mixer. Whip on high speed for about 3 to 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
After that, in a tall glass cup, add ice cubes and your choice of milk.
Finally, pour the frothy coffee on top of the milk. Mix and enjoy!
Be sure to try this ASAP and watch the video below that I put together so you can get a better idea of how to make it!
Don’t forget to visit my YouTube Channel and subscribe! Tastegreatfoodie
Recipes You May Want To Try
- Homemade Cranberry Juice Recipe
- Oat milk Pumpkin Spice Latte (Dairy Free)
- 4 Ingredient Homemade Electrolyte Drink (Hydrating)
- Cucumber Celery Detox Juice
- Copycat Starbucks Pink Drink
- Avocado Smoothie with Whipped Ricotta Cheese
- Cantaloupe Mora Smoothie
- Skin Glow Raw Juice
- Caramel Spice White Hot Chocolate
- Ginger Lemon Immunity Booster Shot
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1½ tablespoons sugar or xylitol for sugar free option
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 oz. milk or almond milk
- Heat milk or water until hot.
- In a medium bowl, whip hot water or hot milk with instant coffee and sugar or xylitol Use an electric hand mixer. Whip on high speed for about 3 to 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- in a tall glass cup, add ice cubes and your choice of milk.
- Pour the frothy coffee on top of the milk. Mix and enjoy!
- Don’t opt regular ground coffee beans you used to make drip coffee.
- To make this drink vegan, simply replace the kind of milk you use with almond, oat, or coconut milk.
- To make this drink Low Carb or Keto simply replace the milk with heavy cream!
- Note that I used milk instead of water to whip the coffee. It is just a personal preference to make it richer. You can stick to using water if making any of the above variations.
Wow! It worked like a dream! I don’t drink coffee that much because I find it bitter, but I needed something to get me through the day with out falling asleep. My friend told me to try this dalgona coffee recipe and it was amazing! l love it and I have it almost every day. Best coffee ever- would recommend to everyone!!
I have to agree! Dalgona is rich, refreshing and delightful. Glad you enjoyed it!!! :
Finally made this famous dalgona coffee and really enjoyed it! It tastes as great as it looks!
Dalgona coffee will never get old!!