This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Tired and hungry after a long day, you can pick up rotisserie chicken in any grocery store. They’re the perfect weeknight dinner, providing healthy, ready-to-eat protein for a crowd in the time it takes to swipe a debit card.
But…. what if I tell you that you can make your own Seasoned Air Fried Rotisserie Chicken at home in the air fryer in less than an hour? With this simple recipe for cooking a whole chicken in your air fryer, you can replicate the flavor, lovely burnished skin, and moist texture of a classic rotisserie chicken.
This succulent chicken dish basted in its own juices will impress your family and friends. The skin will crisp to perfection while the meat beneath will remain incredibly moist leaving every one craving more!
Tender, Juicy, & Full of Flavor!
My new favorite way to cook chicken is in the air fryer. I love almost everything I’ve made in it, but this Air Fryer Whole Chicken is second to none. The skin is extra crispy and the chicken is perfectly juicy. Everyone loves it!
This Air Fried Rotisserie Chicken was very flavorful, and it reminded me of the delicious rotisserie chicken we used to enjoy most in our hometown in Michigan when we were little kids. We loved how moist the chicken was; it was a lot of fun watching it rotate and cook, and it was our absolute favorite.
What Are the Benefits of Air-Frying a Whole Chicken?
Chicken is a crowd-pleaser, a cheap protein, and its leftovers can be used in a variety of dishes. I’m sure you’ll cook chicken on an air fryer spit on a regular basis once you see how simple it is. Here are some additional benefits of air frying your own chicken:
- You can cook and season the chicken however you want.
- You can use whatever type of chicken you prefer (from a local farm, organic, etc.).
- Because the chicken bastes in its own juices, the finished product will be moister than most oven-roasted chickens.
- You can save the bones and use them to make bone broth. This is an advantage of using whole chickens, including store-bought rotisserie chickens, as opposed to chicken breasts, wings, or thighs.
- It looks extremely impressive. If you have guests over, impress them by having a chicken going on.
Look at the Golden Rustic Color!
All About the Ingredients
A whole chicken (raw): A small to medium-sized chicken weighing up to 4.5 pounds/2 kilos is ideal. Any larger and it will be a tight fit in an average sized (around 4L) air fryer!
For the rub: I usually use a basic blend of herbs and spices and some olive oil for the rub. Brushing this mixture all over the chicken before cooking and half way through will help it crisp up nicely. Oh, and it tastes amazing, too!
I typically throw in dried herbs and spices like garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and dried rosemary. To make it more tender and juicy, i add some yogurt, olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Air-Fryer: The Must Have Chicken Appliance
You may be wondering why you would bother air-frying a whole chicken. What if I told you that it’s the ideal way to cook a smaller chicken? It takes almost half the time of a regular oven and produces moist, succulent, crispy, and delicious results every time.
This cooking method is also ideal for a hot summer day because your air fryer does not heat up your kitchen like an oven does. You won’t even need a roasting pan. Simply place the chicken in the air fryer, brush with a quick rub, and cook.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
An 11-quart air fryer with rotisserie function can accommodate a 4-pound chicken.
It should take 45-55 minutes to cook a 4 pound whole chicken.
The rotisserie method evenly cooks the chicken, resulting in no overcooked areas.
You can benefit from rotisserie chicken leftovers in soups, sandwiches, and salads.
Wrap the chicken in aluminum foil and place it in the oven to reheat, or microwave the thawed chicken in a covered dish for 30 – 60 seconds, until just warmed.
Low Carb and Keto Too!
What to Serve this Rotisserie Chicken With?
With perfectly seasoned crispy skin and tender juicy meat, this utterly delicious and mouthwatering Roasted Chicken can be served with any of the following amazing side dishes:
If you enjoy Mediterranean cuisine, I recommend serving Roasted Chicken with Fluffy Mediterranean Rice (Hashweh) topped with toasted almonds and raisins.
When cooking a whole chicken, make sure to remove any innards from the cavity (usually the neck, liver, etc.)
Before applying the rub, always pat the chicken dry.
To catch any grease, line the drip pan with aluminum foil.
Check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer; it should be 165 degrees. If it hasn’t reached that temperature after 45 minutes, continue cooking for 5 minutes at a time until it does.
Instead of using a rub, you can marinate the chicken in your favorite Italian dressing for up to 6 hours.
You can stuff the chicken’s cavity with a lemon (sliced in half), some fresh thyme, and a quartered onion to infuse flavor into the chicken.
Serve your chicken after it has rested for 10 minutes for best results.
Seasoned Air Fried Rotisserie Chicken Ingredients
- whole chicken
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- dried rosemary
Steps to Prep
First, wash the whole chicken then pat dry.
Next, mix all the ingredients then brush or rub them all over, inside, in between the creases, and slightly under the skin of the chicken, pealing the skin up from the breast or thigh area with your hands or gently with a knife.
Then, place in air fryer basket at 375F for 45 minutes. Flip the chicken every 15 minutes.
If you have a rotisserie air fryer like I do, place the seasoned chicken onto the spit and leave on for 45 minutes as it rotates slowly.
More Recipes You Must Try:
- Easy Stovetop Lasagna Skillet
- Spinach Pie Pockets
- Easy Way to Thaw Puff Pastry (in 40 seconds)
- The Best Sushi Hack: Easy No-Roll Sushi Cubes!
- Tender Slow Cooked Roast Beef
- Baked Cumin Chicken And Potatoes
- Creamy Brown Lentil Dahl (Vegan And Gluten Free)
- Pea And Carrot Stew (Bazella W Roz)
- Blackened Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos
- Easy Chicken Curry With Vegetables
Perfectly Seasoned Air Fried Rotisserie Chicken
- 4-6 pound whole chicken
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Wash the whole chicken then pat dry.
- Mix all the ingredients, then brush or rub them all over, inside, in between the creases and slightly under the skin of the chicken, pealing the skin up from the breast or thigh area with your hands or gently with a knife.
- Place in air fryer basket at 375 F for 45 minutes. Flip the chicken every 15 minutes. Or if you have a rotisserie air fryer like I do, place the seasoned chicken onto the spit and leave on for 45 minutes as it rotates slowly.