Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions are the ideal combination of semi-sweet, salty, and earthy flavors! They’re very simple to make and only require a few ingredients: cremini mushrooms, onions, olive oil, and soy sauce, all seasoned with a dash of black pepper.
You can serve them as a delicious side dish or as a topping on some of your favorite dishes. Use them to top burgers, chicken breasts, salmon, steaks, flatbreads, and pizzas. Your sautéed mushrooms and onions will undoubtedly become a new family favorite that you will enjoy sharing!
An Amazing Combo!
Sauteed Mushroom and Onion dish is out of this world! When it comes to pairing meals, mushrooms are always a win-win!
You can’t beat the savory umami flavor created by cooking mushrooms and onions with a olive oil and soy sauce. This dish goes well with almost anything. Whether served with steak or vegan rice bowls, it’s absolutely delicious!
Simple Ingredients with Big Flavor
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- It’s perfect as a side dish for lunch or dinner.
- It’s vegan and dairy-free.
- It’s healthy and rich in fiber and protein.
- It’s flavorful, tasty, and juicy.
Why Add Mushrooms to Your Diet?
Mushrooms add a savory flavor to dishes without adding a lot of fat, calories, or sodium. However, the health benefits do not end there.
Researchers are still learning about how mushrooms can help prevent chronic disease and improve your overall health. Here are the top potential benefits of mushrooms:
Recent studies have revealed that mushrooms could decrease the risk of cancer. They could also decrease the sodium intake.
Moreover, mushrooms are an excellent low-calorie, low-fat, low-cholesterol substitute for red meat and a great source of vitamin D.
Finally, mushrooms contain macronutrients, such as selenium and vitamin B6 that promote immune system health.
Simple and Packed with Flavor
How to Clean Mushrooms
Since mushrooms are like sponges and they absorb excess water, soaking them is not a good idea. Instead of soaking them in water, clean them by wiping them down or gently rinsing them.
If using whole mushrooms, wipe each one down with a damp paper towel before slicing. You can rinse the mushrooms gently with cool water, but you must completely dry them with paper towels after rinsing. Don’t allow them to soak!
Place sliced mushrooms in a colander and rinse under cool water if you want to give them an extra clean. Again, make sure to dry them with a paper towel and not soak them.
Quick and Easy to Make
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
In scientific terms, mushrooms are not a vegetable; rather, they are edible fungi. Mushrooms are classified as a vegetable in the culinary world. They are used in recipes as a savory ingredient, usually to complement meats or other vegetables.
Any oil will do, but olive oil and butter are the best. You can use a combination of both. This dynamic duo tackles browning as well as flavor. The oil prevents the butter from browning too quickly and burning, and the butter adds a richness that oil alone cannot provide.
Once the moisture has evaporated, the mushrooms may be ready to eat, but don’t stop cooking! While they are cooked, at this point the mushrooms can start to sauté and brown, which gives them a richer taste. For the perfect sautéed mushrooms, you’ll need around 15 minutes on the stovetop.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in a skillet or in the microwave.
Cook the mushrooms in a skillet over medium-high heat. Because they release a lot of moisture, they must be cooked over high heat and constantly stirred to avoid burning.
Try a different type of mushroom! We used cremini mushrooms in this sautéed onions and mushrooms recipe, but shiitake mushrooms and baby portobello mushrooms are also delicious.
When sautéing the onions, a pinch of salt helps them caramelize and cook down without burning.
To ensure that the mushrooms cook evenly, slice them to about the same size.
Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions Ingredients
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are the star of the show! I used crimini mushrooms in my recipe, but of course you can use other varieties such as Swiss Brown ,portobello, and wild mushrooms.
- Onions: You can use brown or red onions. They pair perfectly with sauteed mushrooms.
- Olive Oil: I like using olive oil to saute the onions and the mushrooms because it has a high smoke point which makes the edges crisp. However, you can use butter or a combination of both.
- Soy sauce: For added flavor, add a splash of soy sauce.
- Water: You will need some water to simmer the mushrooms and onions.
- Seasonings: Add some salt and ground pepper.
(Scroll Down for recipe details.)
Steps to Prep
In a medium skillet heat olive oil them add the thinly sliced onion to sauté for a few minutes.
Meanwhile thoroughly wash the mushrooms then slice in half. Place them in the skillet to sauté with the onions for a few more minutes.
Now add in ⅓ cup of soy sauce, ½ cup of water, black pepper, and salt to taste. Place on high heat until boiling, while stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and continue to simmer for 12-14 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
Enjoy alone or with beef, burger, over mashed potatoes, steak sub, and more!
Try this Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions with:
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Chicken Roulade With Vegetables
- The Supreme Vegan Black Bean Burger
- Beef Steak Fajita Bowl with a Kick
- Tender Slow Cooked Roast Beef
- Flavorful Garlic Butter Rice
- Cajun Rice
- Sweet Potato Cajun Rice Bowl
- Easy 15 Minute Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Lebanese Chicken Shish Tawook Sheet Pan
Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions
- 24 ounces crimini mushrooms
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- In a medium skillet heat olive oil them add the thinly sliced onion to sauté for a few minutes. Place on high heat until boiling, while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile thoroughly wash the mushrooms then slice in half. Place them in the skillet to sauté with the onions for a few more minutes.
- Now add in ⅓ cup of soy sauce, ½ cup of water, black pepper and salt to taste.
- Place on high heat until boiling, while stirring occasionally until.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and continue to simmer for 12-14 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- Enjoy alone or with beef, burger, over mashed potatoes, steak sub, and more!