Creamy Mashed Potatoes are not just comforting but they are good for the soul! You’ll never need another mashed potato recipe again!
Learn how to make Mashed Potatoes that come out perfectly creamy every time! Creamy, delicious and fluffy!
The best kind of potatoes needed for mashed potatoes are starchy potatoes. Russet or Idaho potato are perfect! Yukon gold work too but they’re not quite as starchy.
The list of ingredients
This recipe is for classic mashed potatoes! So there are no additions of cheeses or spices added. You can definitely add them if you choose to.
- Butter: Add real butter to your potatoes and plenty of it. You can use salted or unsalted butter, they both work!
- Cream/Milk: I use heavy cream when there is an occasion and you really want to nail the recipe! In this recipe, you can also use whole milk if you have it on hand. Remember to heat the dairy for the best potatoes.
- Garlic/Seasonings: simply add salt & pepper. If you’d like a little bit of garlic, you can boil a few with the potatoes or roast them and mash with the potatoes! My husband loves them this way!
The Best Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes
The best kind of potatoes for mashed potatoes are starchy potatoes. Russet or Idaho potato are perfect for mashed potatoes.
Yukon gold work too but they’re more buttery and not quite as starchy. I sometimes leave some of the skin on if I’m using a Yukon gold potato, I love the texture it adds to the mashed potatoes.
This recipe is for classic mashed potatoes so there are no additions of cheeses or exotic spices. Of course, you can add those if you’d like.
- Butter: This is one place where there really are no substitutes. Add real butter to your potatoes and plenty of it. I prefer salted if I have it but unsalted works and the potatoes can be salted to taste.
- Cream/Milk: I use regular whole milk in this recipe, you can also use cream if you have it on hand. Remember to heat the dairy for the best potatoes.
- Garlic/Seasonings: Again, keeping this recipe simple, I simply add salt & pepper. If you’d like a little bit of garlic, chop a few cloves and let them boil with the potatoes.
How To Make Mashed Potatoes
Mash by Hand: Use a hand masher or potato ricer . I never use a hand mixer, stand mixer or food processor since it can cause a very gluey texture. You can the best whipped and smooth creamy mashed potatoes mashing by hand.
Butter: Please don’t skip the butter on this one! You need all that buttery goodness in this classic recipe. Butter helps you mashed potatoes have a well, buttery texture with a booming flavor
Heat Your Milk/Cream: Heat your milk/cream before adding. This keeps the potatoes hot and absorbs better. You can add a little bit at a time of cream or milk to get the right consistency.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 8 large russet potatoes peeled
- 1 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- ½ stick butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes, cut them in half then place them in a large pot filled with salted water. Place the pot over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium. Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes then place them back into the empty pot and mash well. Add in the softened butter, heavy cream or milk, cream cheese, salt and black pepper over medium-low heat as you continue mashing until whipped. Turn heat off.
- Taste and adjust the salt to your liking. If the mash is not as creamy, add ¼ cup more heavy cream and mash over low heat until creamy. Serve warm.
- If the mash is not as creamy, add ¼ cup heavy cream or more and mash over low heat until creamy.
- You may choose to add roasted garlic (2-3 cloves) for delicious garlic mashed potatoes