This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Healthy Coconut Macaroons are just perfect for coconut lovers! They are so light, extremely fluffy, and soft on the inside while having a slightly crunchy crisp on the outside!
Eating these delicious macaroons is the best choice when you’re craving something sweet and healthy! Make these lovely macaroons using just these 4 ingredients: shredded coconut, egg whites, vanilla extract, and honey.
Sweet and Fluffy Delicious Cookies
Why You’ll Love Coconut Macaroons
These tasty macaroons need no refrigeration! Hence, making them ahead for a holiday party or any other event is an excellent choice. Completely hassle-free!
Coconut macaroons are soft, chewy, gluten-free, and oil-free! Hence, they are totally healthy!
Making them is really easy! Even beginner bakers can easily cook them from the first time!
The taste is sweet and coconutty, with aromatic hints of a caramel-like flavor that comes from the toasted sides of the coconut macaroons! Heavenly sweet coconut flavor!
They have an unbelievable texture: fluffy and crunchy at the same time! Best thing ever!
Macaroons or Macarons?
So what is the difference between macarons and macaroons?
French macarons (with one o) are egg white meringue-based cookies made with ground almond, almond extract, or almond flour and are often filled with ganache cream, jam, or buttercream. Also, they come in a rainbow of colors.
Modern day macaroons or traditional macaroons are simply soft cookies, made with potato starch, almond paste, quinoa flour, oat flour, or shredded coconut. Also, they are very popular for Christmas desserts.
Classic coconut macaroons (with two o’s) are made from shredded coconut or desiccated coconut instead of almond butter/paste. They are not as airy as French macarons, but they are way easier to make and very delicious!
A Perfect Dessert for Keto, Paleo, and Gluten-Free Recipes
These macaroons have a high amount of protein from eggs, and healthy fats from coconut. And they are low carb as well, perfect for those on a keto diet: they have just 13 grams of fat.
Also, these macaroons are same as paleo coconut macaroons! Yes, these healthy coconut macaroons are paleo-friendly! It has eggs and healthy fats.
More than that, these coconut macaroons are naturally gluten free because they are made without any flour and dairy products.
What a perfect treat for people on keto, paleo, gluten-free, and dairy-free diet!
Best Coconut Dessert
Enjoy these healthy coconut macaroons with your favorite tea or coffee. If you want to have some extra special taste, then try this type of cookie with any of those awesome beverages:
You can dip macaroons in melted dark chocolate! It is optional but so delicious. Once your coconut macaroons have fully cooled, you can dip them in a small bowl of melted chocolate.
Also, you can just drizzle chocolate all over their tops, or sprinkle sugar-free chocolate chips on top. Now you have tasty chocolate coconut macaroons!
You can also eat these delicious coconut macaroons with peanut butter spread! The taste will be so satisfying.
Top Tips for Healthy Coconut Macaroons
It is very important to use unsweetened coconut, be it fine or shredded coconut. If you use the longer shreds, the macaroons won’t hold together and they’ll simply spread across the pan. Bob’s Red Mill brand has the best shredded coconut.
If you use stiff coconut flakes, your macaroons would be harder to shape, and they can easily fall apart after baking. Lots of the texture depends on choosing fine shredded coconut.
In case you can only find unsweetened coconut flakes, then you can blend them in a food processor or blender on a high speed to make them much smaller for the best results.
If you fancy it, you may add sea salt to traditional coconut macaroons (absolutely optional). Just half a teaspoon of sea salt will make this healthy dessert’s taste more pronounced.
Shredded Coconut Cookies
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Sure! You can use any other syrup (maple syrup, agave syrup, date syrup) or a sweetener such as sugar and stevia. Simply, you can use any artificial sweeteners.
Store them in an airtight container. If kept like that at room temperature, they should last at least for 5 days. If you store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator, they will perfectly last for at least 8 days.
Definitely, you can! Just make sure not to add any more sugar because condensed milk already has added sugar in it.
Instead of honey, use any sweetener you want, and replace egg whites with ground flax seeds. You can also use 1 or 2 tablespoons of coconut milk. Now you have perfect vegan macaroons!
These healthy coconut macaroons ship quite well! As long as you put enough padding to your package, they should arrive completely intact.
The coconut mixture should be formed into little mounds before baking! If you flatten the mounds, then the macaroons will totally dry out during baking. So, try to keep the macaroons domed, like the upper part shape of the rounded tablespoon.
It’s totally optional! But you can add 1 or 2 tablespoons of coconut oil if you want to have much softer macaroons.
Put them on a prepared baking sheet for 8 minutes in the oven on low heat.
Sweet and Crunchy Coconut Macaroons
Let’s talk about the simple ingredients you need to make this coconut macaroon recipe! There are just 4 of them, and I am sure you have almost all of them in your kitchen pantry! If not, then they’re available at all grocery stores.
Egg whites: This is the glue that holds the macaroons together. To give macaroons their bright white color, you just have to use the egg white — and skip the egg yolks.
Vanilla: Adding vanilla extract to coconut macaroons gives them a better aroma and richer flavor.
Coconut: You need shredded unsweetened coconut for the best results.
Honey: It adds a sweet tender taste to these amazing macaroons.
How to Make Healthy Coconut Macaroons
Now that we have successfully covered the simple ingredients you need, let’s follow these easy steps for the best healthy coconut macaroons recipe!
First thing to do is to preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Second, bring one large bowl and with fast strokes, whisk egg whites, honey and vanilla until frothy mixture.
Then, add shredded coconut to the egg whites and honey. Stir very well until coated completely.
After that, use a small cookie scoop or ice cream scooper and add the mixture onto prepared baking sheet. A quick tip: You can’t use your hands as the macaroon mixture is fairly wet, and the coconut will stick to your hands.
Now, it’s time to bake the healthy macaroons: Put them in a single layer on a lined baking sheet in the oven for 20-22 minutes, until golden brown.
As a final step, remove the baking tray from the oven and let the macaroons cool completely at room temperature on a cookie sheet.
It’s time for the best part: enjoy your fresh coconut macaroon dessert! Save the recipe card for the next time because it will be the best one among your delicious coconut recipes!
Tasty Coconut Cookies
Other Delicious and Sweet Dessert Recipes:
- Healthy Oatmeal Date Bars
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- Gooey Marshmallow Chocolate Cookies
- Homemade Date Biscuit Nut Bars
- Viral Chocolate Rice Cake Bites with Peanut Butter
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Chocolate Coffee Avocado Pudding
- Homemade Protein Jam Bars
- No Bake Cinnamon & S’mores Cheesecake Trifle
Healthy Coconut Macaroons
- 3 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 egg whites, large
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cups honey
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Second, bring one bowl and with fast strokes, whisk egg whites, honey and vanilla until frothy mixture.
- Then, add shredded coconut to the egg whites and honey. Stir very well until coated completely.
- After that, use a cookie dough or ice cream scooper and add the mixture onto prepared baking sheet. You can't use your hands since the macaroon mixture is fairly wet and the coconut will stick to your hands.
- Now, bake the macaroons in oven for 20-22 minutes, until golden brown.
- As a final step, remove the pan from the oven and let the macaroons cool completely. Enjoy your sweet dessert!
- It is very important to use unsweetened fine or shredded coconut. If you use the longer shreds, the macaroons won’t hold together and they’ll simply spread across the pan.
- If you use stiff flaked coconut, your macaroons would be much harder to shape, and they can easily fall apart after baking.
- In case you can only find unsweetened coconut flakes, then you can blend them in a food processor or blender to make them much smaller.
- You can dip macaroons in melted chocolate! It is optional but so delicious. Once your coconut macaroons have fully cooled, you can dip them in melted chocolate or just drizzle their tops with melted chocolate.
- Also, you may add sea salt to traditional coconut macaroons, but it’s absolutely optional. Just half a teaspoon of sea salt will make this healthy dessert’s taste more flavorful.